Thursday rundown: Ethan Gruska, freshman shows out for IUFB, farmers offer local options, Day of the Dead

Ethan Gruska

L.A. musician Ethan Gruska released his album "Slowmotionary" this year. Gruska will open for Ray LaMontagne on Nov. 4 at 8 p.m. at the IU Auditorium. Courtesy Photo

Musician Ethan Gruska released his first solo album, "Slowmotionary" this year, creating raw and intimate music in a world that he said can feel so loud. Gruska will be Ray LaMontagne's special guest Nov. 4 at the IU Auditorium. 

His simplistic sound has gained recognition from publications such as the Los Angeles Times. One article included the headline, "L.A.'s next great writer? It might be Ethan Gruska." Gruska spoke to the Indiana Daily Student about releasing his first album and defining his sound. Read more here.

Freshman shows out for IUFB

Sophomore wide receiver Whop Philyor celebrates his touchdown with sophomore quarterback Peyton Ramsey and former IU wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr. on Oct. 14. Katie Franke

Freshman wide receiver Whop Philyor is emerging as a frequent target in the IU passing game after a slew of injuries to IU wideouts. Read more here.

Farmers offer local options

Mark Stoll shows the inside of a cranberry bean grown at the local Gypsy Ridge Farms during the Bloomington Community Farmer's Market. Local farmers are trying to crack the IU market with their products. James Benedict

Local farmers are looking for ways to break into the student population. While locally sourced food is available at the farmer's market and Bloomingfoods, some businesses have trouble selling their food on campus. Read more here.

Day of the Dead

La Casa Latino Cultural Center constructs an altar to celebrate Dia de los Muertos. The event took place Wednesday evening in La Casa Cultural Center, First Nations Cultural Center, LGBTQ+ Cultural Center and Canterbury House. Victor Gan

Students placed fruit, candles and even a K-Cup at altars to help keep the memories of friends and family alive during the Day of the Dead celebration at La Casa. The event honored those killed in recent hurricanes across Mexico and other areas, in addition to loved ones who have died. Read more here.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.