student life

World record attempt draws 200 of 3000 people wanted

IU employees Herb Jones and April Purlee roll on the ground as part of the Office of Insurance, Loss Control & Claims' organized attempt to break the current world record of 1,719 people simultaneously stop, drop and rolling. The Guinness World Records requires participants roll on the ground for 30 seconds in order for the attempt to count. 
In celebration of National Fire Prevention Week, IU attempted to break the Guinness World Record for amount of people to stop, drop and roll at the same time. The stop, drop and roll technique is commonly taught to minimize harm if your clothes ever catch fire. About 200 students and Bloomington residents came out to enjoy their sunny Friday afternoon Oct. 13 at Woodlawn Field, but this number fell far short of their goal of 3,000 and world record of 1,719. But this did not stop them from dancing and socializing, receiving free prizes and attempting the record for fun.

In celebration of National Fire Prevention Week, IU attempted to break the Guinness World Record for amount of people to stop, drop and roll at the same time. 

The stop, drop and roll technique is commonly taught to minimize harm if your clothes ever catch fire.

About 200 students and Bloomington residents came out to enjoy their sunny Friday afternoon Oct. 13 at Woodlawn Field, but this number fell far short of their goal of 3,000 and world record of 1,719. It did not, however, stop them from dancing and socializing, receiving free prizes and attempting the record for fun. 

The event was sponsored by RPS residential life and the Office of Insurance, Loss Control and Claims (INLOCC) to promote fire safety awareness.