arts community events

Thirteen things to do for Friday the 13th in Bloomington

Friday the 13th is approaching. There's no shortage of things to do this weekend to celebrate the spookiness of the special day.

Friday the 13th is considered a scary day during any month, but since it's October, this Friday should be even spookier. Check out these spooky and non-spooky events happening this Friday the 13th. 

1. Barn of Fear

This locally owned and operated haunted house will celebrate its first Friday the 13th this year. The hockey-mask-wearing, machete-yielding, horror film icon Jason will be featured.

•  8792 N. Old State Road 37 
  •  8:00 to 11:59 p.m.
  • $13

2. Spafford at the Bluebird Nightclub 

The American rock and jam band will present composed and improvisational musical styles at the Bluebird. The band blends genres such as rock, funk, jazz, reggae, ska and electro-pop.

• 216 N. Walnut St.
  • 9:00 p.m.
  • $15

3.  L'ÉTOILE

L'étoile is an opéra bouffe in three acts by Emmanuel Chabrier and stars the inimitable King Ouf, a wild and crazy guy. 

• Musical Arts Center, 101 N. Jordan Ave.
  • 7:30 p.m.
  • $12 to $27

4. Comedian Nate Bargatze

Bargatze returns to Bloomington with a night of comedy. Marc Maron wrote in Rolling Stone Magazine he is a "comic who should be big," and Jim Gaffigan wrote in Esquire he is "one of the top up and coming comics." 

• 123 S. Walnut St. 
  •  8:00 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
  • $10 to $15

5. Three Sisters

This play follows the story of the Prozorov sisters, who long to leave their country estate and return to Moscow. However, financial hardships, tumultuous affairs and their own inner demons prevent them from doing so.

• Lee Norvelle Theatre & Drama Center, 275 N. Jordan Ave.
  • 7:30 to 10:00 p.m. 
  • $20 general and $10 student

6. Faint of Hart Exhibition

The Faint of Hart exhibition is a pop art show bringing together 14 local and regional artists to showcase Halloween art. Come out to celebrate the spookiest time of the year, hosted by Eyehart Toys and Gather Shoppe.

• 116 N. Walnut St.
  • 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. 
  • Free

7. Scary movies

Stephen King's "It" follows the story of three kids who discover a terrifying clown named Pennywise is terrorizing their town. 

8. Eighth annual glass pumpkin review

Check out the display of beautiful blown glass pumpkins as a preview for the glass pumpkin gallery on Oct. 14.  The public can view and admire the pumpkins before they are displayed and sold on the Monroe County Courthouse lawn Saturday morning. Artists will be on hand at the review to explain the process and give glass blowing demos.

• 2120 N. Fee Ln.
  • 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. 
  • Free

9. A Shared Elegy photography exhibit

A Shared Elegy presents the work of four photographers connected by family ties. On Oct. 13 the exhibit will open and will include a symposium with panel discussions and a lecture by Emmet Gowin.

• 1201 E. 7th St., Fine Arts 123
  • 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. 
  • Free

10. Food Truck Friday

This event features live music and, of course, food trucks, including Bloomington classics such as the Chocolate Moose and the Big Cheese.

• First United Methodist Church Parking Lot 
  • 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

11. Dia de Los Muertos/Day of the Dead Community Altar

The Mathers Museum of World Cultures invites anyone to add gifts to a community altar in honor of those who have died. Each year, the altar is built upon the foundation of the previous year's offerings. 

• 416 N. Indiana Ave.
  • 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Free

12. The Mersey Beatles

This Liverpool-based Beatles tribute band will perform at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater with special guest Julia Baird, author and sister of John Lennon.

• 114 E. Kirkwood Ave.
  • 7:30 p.m.
  • $10 to $45

13. $13 Tattoos at Little Blue's Tattoos

The tattoo parlor will offer certain tattoos for $13 Friday the 13th and will honor the deal all day.

•  3870 W 3rd St.
  • 2 to 10 p.m.
  • $13 plus a $7 "good luck" tip