Japanese Breakfast to perform at the Bishop Bar on Oct. 5

Michelle Zauner, creator of the solo experimental pop project Japanese Breakfast, released her second album "Soft Sounds From Another Planet" in July. Japanese Breakfast will perform at the Bishop Bar on Oct. 5. 

Michelle Zauner, creator of the solo experimental pop project Japanese Breakfast, wrote her debut album in the weeks after her mother died from cancer. According to the Bishop Bar’s website, she thought she would quit music entirely after that. 

However, that was not the case, and on Oct. 5, Zauner will bring her project to Bloomington. Japanese Breakfast will perform at the Bishop along with the bands Mannequin Pussy and The Spirit of the Beehive. 

Zauner’s first album, “Pychopomp,” was received acclaim from Pitchfork and Rolling Stone upon its release in 2016. The album forced Zauner to confront her grief, according to the Bishop’s website. Her second album, "Soft Sounds From Another Planet," was released in July 2017. 

“’Psychopomp’ was written like two months after my mom had passed away, and this was a year and a half after,” Zauner said of the record in a Spin article. “To ban myself from writing about that experience felt really phony.”

"Soft Sounds From Another Planet" is a transmutation of mourning, a reflection that turns back on the cosmos in search of healing, according to the Bishop’s website. 

“I used the theme as a means to disassociate from trauma,” she said, according to the Bishop’s website. “Space used as a place of fantasy.”

The show, starting at 9:30 p.m., is 18 and over. Tickets are $12 in advance and $14 at the door. There is a discounted ticket price of $8 for WIUX members if purchased at the station.