administration crime & courts

IU emergency management director arrested on charge of OWI Thursday morning

IU emergency management director Diane Morris-Mack was arrested in Fishers, Indiana, around 2:30 a.m. early Thursday morning. Mack, who was arrested for operating a vehicle while intoxicated, will be suspended without pay until further notice as the University waits for additional information about the incident and undergoes its own internal investigation.

IU emergency management director Diane Morris-Mack was arrested in Fishers, Indiana, around 2:30 a.m. early Thursday morning on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

Mack’s blood alcohol level was reported to be 0.15 percent or more, which is over the legal limit of 0.08 percent, according to online court records.

Mack will be suspended without pay until further notice as the University waits for additional information about the incident and undergoes its own internal investigation, IU spokesperson Ryan Piurek said.

Piurek said Mack’s employee status will be reviewed internally. In the meantime, Carlos Garcia, IU-Purdue University Indianapolis director of emergency management, will assume Mack’s role temporarily.

Mack is IU’s first emergency management director across all IU campuses. As emergency management director, Mack works to prevent and respond to any emergency situation locally, nationally or internationally that affects IU.

She is also a Lawrence Police reserve officer and an incident commander for Indiana’s Incident Management Assistance Team. Mack was part of an eight-person team of IU faculty members deployed to Florida in the wake of Hurricane Irma.

Mack was arrested by the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office and taken to Hamilton County Jail on preliminary charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated, a criminal misdemeanor.

Her initial hearing is expected to be Nov. 1.