Former IU football player D'Angelo Roberts arrested on armed robbery charges

D'Angelo M. Roberts, 25, former running back for the IU football team, is currently being held at the Monroe County Jail on preliminary felony charges of burglary with a deadly weapon, armed robbery and theft. Roberts, a graduate of Bloomington North High School, is being held on a $30,000 surety bond and a $2,000 cash bond.

D'Angelo M. Roberts, 25, a graduate of Bloomington High School North and a former running back for the IU football team, is currently being held at the Monroe County Jail on preliminary felony charges of burglary with a deadly weapon, armed robbery and theft.

Roberts is being held on a $30,000 surety bond and a $2,000 cash bond.

He is being held in connection with a warrant that was issued for his arrest on July 20. 

The warrant details a July 8 incident in Bloomington during which Roberts broke into a friend's home.

A police account of the incident states Roberts climbed through the bedroom window of a high school friend around 10:00 p.m. before Roberts threatened the man with a silver-blade knife about 2-3 inches in length. 

The account states Roberts took a $300 Michael Kors watch, $90 laptop charger and a $65 computer gaming headset. According to the victim, Roberts was wearing all-black clothing during the robbery, did not make an attempt to conceal his identity and also demanded money and marijuana.

Per Monroe County Jail officials, Roberts was extradited from Madison County, Alabama, and the warrant for his arrest was served when he arrived in Bloomington at 6:05 p.m. last night. 

Jail officials also stated that an initial hearing for his case has not been scheduled. 

Roberts set the Monroe County rushing record during his time at Bloomington North, as he amassed over 6,000 rushing yards while playing for the Cougars.

During his time with the Hoosiers, Roberts collected more than 1,200 rushing yards. He scored 13 touchdowns during his four-year playing career, most notably scoring the winning touchdown when IU upset then-No. 18 Missouri in 2014. He also caught 38 passes for 329 yards with one touchdown reception.

Roberts was named the IU football Offensive Teammate of the Year following the 2014 season.

Roberts did not graduate from IU, though, as records show he has not been enrolled at IU since the spring 2016 semester, when he was listed as a senior.

Cameron Drummond