sports field hockey

Field hockey hopes to snap four-game losing streak

iufh1_web.jpg

The IU field hockey team will look to break its four-game losing streak, as well as collect its first Big Ten win of the season at the same time Friday afternoon.

The Hoosiers will hit the road to face No. 10 Northwestern in Evanston, Illinois, at 4 p.m.

IU upset then-No. 6 Northwestern last year, 2-1, when the Wildcats came to Bloomington, and IU junior midfielder Nora Aucker hopes for the same result this week.

“I’m just super excited, we’ve had two really big upsets against them," Aucker said.

In 2015, IU pulled another upset against Northwestern, defeating the then-No. 14 Wildcats 3-2.

However, it's a moment from the 2016 game against the Wildcats that sticks out the most to Aucker. She scored the go-ahead goal in last year's upset win.

"Last year, scoring that goal was such a big momentum swing in my career," Aucker said. "I have a lot of heart and pride when I play this team especially." 

Momentum isn't with the Hoosiers entering this year's meeting, though. IU has lost five of its last six games and hasn't recorded a victory since beating Ball State on Sept. 17.

"Through adversity we are a very composed team," Aucker said. "We haven’t come out on the winning side but especially with these close losses we are having against teams with good caliber it proves to us we aren’t strides and strides behind these teams but just little adjustments." 

After traveling to Evanston, the Hoosiers will return to Bloomington to play Ohio University at the IU Field Hockey Complex.  

Last season, IU outlasted Ohio on the road 3-2 in an overtime victory.

Including the Northwestern matchup, four of IU's last five games will have been against ranked opponents by the time the Ohio match comes around.  

Sophomore forward Kelsey Giese has been a prominent force for the Hoosier offense this season and said the team has gained confidence recently from scoring against elite opponents. 

“Recently we have only been scoring on corners, so it was nice to get a lot of field goals," Giese said. "It gave the forwards and everyone else on the field more confidence that we can score. To get a win on Friday and bring it back home would be awesome. We need the energy."

IU can be seen Friday on Big Ten Plus against Northwestern and at 2 p.m. Sunday at the IU Field Hockey Complex at against Ohio.