student life

6 common types of roommates

From the good to the ugly, roommates come in all shapes and sizes. Here are just a few of the common types of roommates you might encounter in college and beyond.

The One Who Never Comes Home

Your roommate might be in a relationship with someone, so they’re always at their significant other’s place. You might see them once or twice a week, maybe bump into them between classes. Other than that, they are likely just not there, so you have the place to yourself. This is a blessing in disguise for those of you who wanted your own place but ended up needing to split rent. Now, you get your solo time at half the cost. What could be better?

The Party Animal 

This roommate stumbles in at 2 a.m. after a late night out, trying and failing to keep from crashing around the kitchen. With this roommate, you wonder if they are actually enrolled in school or if the dance floor is their classroom. 

The Slob

This is the roommate who never cleans up after themselves. Trash is lying on the floor of your place. Dishes are still in the sink, unwashed, from breakfast three days ago. The game of willpower ensues — you will NOT clean anything, no matter how much it bothers you, until your roommate picks up his or her mess. Living with slobs becomes unbearable, if you aren’t one yourself.

The One Who Never Stops Talking

The talkative roommates can be fun, but also annoying. This roommate will be able to tell you all the latest gossip around town. If you need someone to entertain you, this is definitely the roommate to have. However, when they just never seem to stop, it can be irritating. 

The One Who Never Leaves

This hermit-like roommate just never seems to leave your place. It can become a concern because you don’t want to be rude and ask why they don’t leave. If you want alone time, it’s hard to get it, so you just have to go somewhere else. You try to invite them out to get some fresh air, but they turn it down. This kind of roommate just enjoys being inside, and there isn’t much you can do to change that.

The One Who Becomes Your Best Friend

Do you have a lot in common with your roommate? Do you do everything with each other? Then you have found the golden egg of roommates — the one that becomes your best friend. This is the best situation you could have hoped for, because you never had to battle with a roommate from hell. During those late night talks about anything and everything, you realize that your roommate has become your bestie.