COLUMN: Do not give Sean Spicer another speaking job

Unfortunately, the past week has proven that Sean Spicer is still seen by some as a respected voice in our nation’s media. 

In case you may have forgotten, the former White House press secretary was known for relaying false information and attempting to intimidate reporters. He also tended to refuse to acknowledge public opinion surrounding any decisions made by the Trump administration. 

Now, Spicer has been chosen to speak at the investment bank Rodman & Renshaw’s annual conference, and he has been signed to the Worldwide Speakers Group. At these events, he will most likely reminisce on his tenure at the White House and speak on the Trump administration.

The Worldwide Speakers Group stated that for "his well-known candor and extensive experience, Sean is uniquely qualified to help audiences understand how the political environment will impact them now and in the future.”

First, Spicer’s erratic responses to the press and ultimate termination from his position demonstrate how he is clearly not able to understand the political environment of our nation at the current time.

His inability to understand the current implications of the Trump administration’s actions does not leave a lot of promise that he can properly convey future implications.  

It is concerning enough to me that people are paying to have Spicer give political insight in any form more serious than for entertainment. However, what concerns me more is that there is speculation that some TV news outlets are considering adding Spicer to their staff. 

I understand that from a ratings standpoint, Spicer’s somehow lovable ineptitude for speaking in a calm, unbiased nature — thanks, Melissa McCarthy — would undoubtedly cause an initial increase in viewers. 

But, in a time in which fake news has become a pop culture term and voter trust in the media is wavering, it is the responsibility of news organizations to put qualified journalists on staff. A focus on fairness and truth, not unsubstantiated and quick-tempered bias, is what networks need now. 

I could not trust the quality of any news outlet who puts Sean Spicer on a talk show because I would automatically get the impression that the information being presented would be one-sided and most likely not thoroughly researched. CNN has apparently announced that it will not hire Spicer, despite having worked with former press secretaries in the past.

I think that the standard for hiring Spicer should be more serious than a network's looking to increase viewership. Americans need to trust the people they watch on the news, from field reporters to talk show commentators, so that they will tune in to be informed, not entertained. 

Amid Spicer’s post-White House job search, it is reported that he turned down a spot on ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars.” This deal, out of everything previously discussed, may be the biggest disservice to the American people, because that would have undoubtedly been quality entertainment. 

ccarigan@indiana.edu

@carmesanchicken