Bloomington International Student Ministries helps students adapt

camissionary_web.jpg

Transitioning into college can be tough, but it can be made even more difficult when your college is in a different country than your home.

“I am the only person in my family in the United States,” said Anh The Vu, a graduate student from Vietnam. “It’s hard to have to start your life over somewhere else.” 

Vu recently transitioned to IU with the help of the Bloomington International Student Ministries, an on campus organization created to offer services and activities for international students and their families, according to their website.

The ultimate goal of BISM to make the transition into Hoosier life as smooth as possible,  Jeffrey Peter, president of the organization, said. This includes services from airport pickups to providing furniture to students, since they cannot bring their own furniture on the plane. 

“It’s already tough to be so far away from home, so we don’t want students to have to worry about little issues like those,” Peter said. 

Vu was picked up at the airport for free and then taken to buy household items, such as a desk, a dresser and a bookshelf.

“I had never seen an organization like this before,” he said. “Everyone is so friendly.”

Once students were settled into campus this year, the BISM had an International Welcome Banquet on Sept. 3 to introduce students to life at IU. 

The event provided information on the IU bus system, local restaurants and attractions, and places where students can go to get tutoring, Peter said. The banquet also included singing and dance performances from Chinese and Indian students, which Vu said was his favorite part. 

Although families were invited to attend the banquet, Vu was not able to be with his.

“BISM helps me so much, but honestly sometimes I still miss my family,” he said.

Many international students who come to IU leave their family and friends behind. BISM stresses the importance of providing a welcoming environment where students can make friends and battle homesickness, Peter said.

From outings to McCormick’s Creek to celebrating American holidays together, the organization offers several events throughout the year specifically for international students to interact with each other, along with other IU students.

On Oct. 14, BISM will be taking students to a Burlington Coat Factory in Greenwood, Indiana, for a shopping trip. This is because many international students do not have many winter clothes when they come to IU, said Peter. 

“They really are constantly thinking of us,” said Vu. “BISM has really helped me adapt to my new life in the US.”

Last year, more than 400 students came to the organization’s Thanksgiving dinner, where they met local Bloomington residents and ate traditional turkey, mashed potatoes and other thanksgiving food together.

“We want students to branch out and learn about American culture while they’re here as well,” said Peter.