Post Malone, RL Grime headline IU Block Party

The sold out IU Block Party took place on Aug. 19

caBlockParty4.jpg

On Saturday night, a lot near 13th Street and Fee Lane was transformed into a concert venue, with flashing lights and a crowd of students dancing and singing along to electric, dance and hip-hop music. 

Each year for Welcome Week, Residential Programs and Services, Residence Hall Association and Union Board sponsor a concert aimed toward the incoming freshman class and available for all IU students. 

This year, the concert’s lineup included DJ Niko Flores, DJ Craze and Four Color Zack, rapper Post Malone and DJ RL Grime. 

Freshman Jordan Khan said he bought Block Party tickets not only because it was a big event for the freshman class, but also since he is a Post Malone fan. He said his favorite songs by the artist are “Up There" and "Leave."

“Those aren’t really his most popular songs,” Khan said. “The most popular are like, obviously 'White Iverson' or 'Congratulations' because of Quavo, but 'Leave' is cool. I like the shackles in the background and how it has that old Johnny Cash feel to it.”

Gates for the concert opened at 9 p.m., but students began lining up hours before. The Block Party also included a free carnival, which started at 7 p.m. and lasted throughout the concert until 1 a.m. 

Meredith Young, a graduate adviser for Union Board, said she was involved in the carnival's planning. She said this was the first year the carnival continued throughout the concert.  

“We’re going to see how it goes,” she said. “It’s going pretty well so far, since there are a lot of people here.”  

The carnival included inflatables, games and local food trucks like the Big Cheeze. Young said the carnival was a lot bigger this year because it didn’t have to be moved indoors because of bad weather conditions. 

Young said the planning for the Block Party and carnival starts a year in advance, basically as soon as the previous year's concert ends.

“They closed this lot down on Thursday and they’ve been slowly moving things in,” she said. “So it’s a long process for a few hours, but it’s important.” 

Once the gates opened at 9 p.m., students began entering the venue, and Niko Flores took the stage shortly after. Students were still entering the venue well past 10 p.m. 

Union Board Director of Music Mark Matsuki said the concert is a great way for freshmen to meet new people in a safe environment. 

“For $25, freshman can go to a concert down the street from their dorm that would probably normally come in at $60 for a ticket,” he said. “It’s a really unique experience that they get together at a great offering.” 

Khan said the low ticket price and the fact that there would be fewer people at the concert were big factors in his decision to attend the Block Party. 

“Since there are less people going, there won’t be as many people bothering me during the show,” he said. “And I’ll be able to get closer to the stage.”

After Niko Flores finished performing, DJ Craze and Four Color Zack took the stage, followed by Post Malone. RL Grime finished out the night with a DJ set. 

During the concert, some students took a break from the excitement of the music to enjoy free frozen yogurt from Orange Leaf or order barbecue from the Great White Smoke food truck.  

Matsuki said the Block Party was the biggest concert in the event’s history, selling out at 6,000 tickets. He said he wants the concert to get bigger and bigger every year.

“I think that this is going to continue to be a staple, if not more an IU tradition,” Matsuki said. “I hope it continues to grow.”