Common questions for move-in day

Photo Front

Before you arrive for move-in day, you should be prepared for what might await you. Large crowds and warm temperatures are almost always a given, as well as some teary goodbyes. Here are some answers to some common questions directly from an RPS staffer.

Is parking readily available around residence halls during move-in day?

The parking situation will vary with each building on campus. Most residence halls have a circle driveway for unloading your vehicle. The parking is always timed and sometimes metered so you’ll need all hands on deck. After you have finished unloading the vehicle you will want to find parking elsewhere. Grab a campus map at the front desk to help locate the nearest parking garage.

What is the protocol for checking in?

While you unload the vehicle curbside, students are directed inside to the front desk. Here students are granted access to their building and room. Students will also receive an assortment of materials pertaining to their assigned building. Now that check-in is complete, the sweat scene will commence.

Will there be people to help students move in?

There will be plenty of people eager to help. Whether resident assistants or members of the Welcome Week team, they are all there to make the process run smoothly. Although we cannot physically move your student’s belongings, carts are available at the front desk for your convenience. If you have your own cart bring it with you if there is enough room.

When can we begin moving things inside the room?

Once students are granted room access you will be able to move things in. Students are fully responsible for their guests. We do not recommend students lend their key to others for any reason.

How to part ways with your students?

Move-in day is stressful for everyone. Now that the sweaty chaos of moving is over, parents realize it is time to leave their baby and the emotions tend to kick in.

Maybe stay the night in the Biddle Hotel, which is centrally located on campus and delay your goodbyes until the next day.

The staff is there to help make move-in as painless a process as possible. Staff members will do their best to meet everyone’s move-in needs. They are trained to contact a manger when dealing with temperamental parents. So keep your cool. Making a scene at your student’s new home will not make saying goodbye any easier. After all, you contribute in large to the fate of your student’s first day as an IU resident.