IU Foundation receives record donations

cadonor

With more than $400 million raised this year alone, the IU bicentennial campaign has brought green to a school  known for its cream and crimson.

The IU Foundation has received $461.8 million in University donations, including private philanthropy and non-governmental funds in the 2017 fiscal year. This is the fourth year IU has received more than the targeted donation goal for its “For All: The Indiana University Bicentennial Campaign.”

Matt Kavgian, Director of Strategic Communications and Projects at the IU Foundation, said 98 percent of the funds donated are used based on the donor’s intent. 

“The funds this year fall broadly within categories such as student scholarships and financial aid, faculty support and program research, academic operations and program support, facilities and university programs,” Kavgian said.

Kavgian said the IU Foundation connects with donors in many ways. Some donors are just reaching out, while others are contacted by a team that concentrates on alumni. 

“We raise funds by matching up the interests and passions of IU’s alumni and friends with the University’s needs and priorities,” Kavgian said.

In a press release, IU Foundation President Dan Smith said the IU Foundation has received a lot of support from those familiar with it. 

“We are so fortunate to have so many friends who support our mission,” Smith said. “Their kindness and generosity will have a vast impact on the citizens in our great state and beyond.”

Kavgian said this idea of friendship is a large part of the mission of the IU Foundation.

“Our mission is to maximize private support for Indiana University by fostering lifelong relationships with key stakeholders and providing advancement leadership and fundraising services for campuses and units across the university,” Kavgian said.

Smith also said in the release that the IU Foundation plays an important role at IU.

“The IU Foundation is devoted to helping the university honor its past and help provide the support that will create opportunities for generations to come,” Smith said. 

While the IU Foundation has been bringing in donations for the University for many years, “For All: The Indiana University Bicentennial Campaign” has inflated donations in the past few years, each year receiving a larger amount in donations than the last. 

“The ‘For All’ campaign has created an excitement among our alumni and friends and has led to increased activity and investment of fundraising resources nationwide,” Kavgian said.

The Foundation's incentive program that matches donations for specific scholarship and professorial positions has caused some donors to give larger amounts, as they know that their money will go farther, Kavgian said. 

The “For All” campaign ends December 2019, around the same time the bicentennial celebration will begin.

An earlier version of this article incorrectly identified the IU Foundation in the headline. The IDS regrets this error.