Hale standing out within IU's veteran receiving corps

nickwestbrook.jpg

IU Coach Tom Allen doesn’t care what his players have done in the past. He needs to know what you’ve done for him lately, and everyone, from freshmen to upperclassmen, has to earn a spot each and every day.

Look no further than the wide receiver position, where last year’s leader in receiving yards is currently listed as a backup, proof that Allen is a man of his word when it comes to demanding excellence from his players.

In an updated depth chart released Friday, junior receiver Nick Westbrook was listed behind fellow junior wideout Donavan Hale. Westbrook caught 54 passes for 995 yards in 2016, while Hale caught just 13 balls for 210 yards, but Allen and his staff threw those numbers out the window when evaluating the position heading into the season opener Thursday against No. 2 Ohio State. 

“Donavan had a tremendous fall camp, and it's all about competition here at Indiana,” Allen said. “Nobody's guaranteed a spot.”

Westbrook was supposed to be one half of a receiving duo with junior receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr., which could have been among the best in the conference. But strong, consistent play from Hale in camp has turned that duo into a trio.

Offensive coordinator Mike DeBord and senior quarterback Richard Lagow both praised Hale’s ability to show his talent and potential on a daily basis this summer. Lagow said that in the past, Hale displayed brief flashes of his capability, but now he sees it on a daily basis.

“Donavan is a guy that works really hard in the offseason to fine-tune his game,” Lagow said. “Because the talent’s always been there for him, no one’s questioned that.”

The 6-foot-4 Hale, who played quarterback in high school and even drew interest from the IU basketball program, didn’t always make his presence felt last season, but he instead showed flashes of his athleticism. Hale caught a tipped pass in the end zone against Wake Forest for a 49-yard touchdown and posted a pair of three-catch performances against Northwestern and Rutgers.

Ricky Jones and Mitchell Paige, the second and third leading receivers from last year's team, both graduated. But if Hale is ready to make the leap to become a consistent performer this year, and if Cobbs successfully returns from a season-ending injury that cost him his 2016 campaign, the Hoosiers may not miss Jones and Paige. The quarterback already said he believes he has a special group this season.

“You got size, you got speed, and more importantly you have a work ethic throughout the entire group that — it’s not common,” Lagow said. “Their work ethic is not common throughout college football.”

Allen was quick to point out that Westbrook will not see a stark decline in playing time. At positions like wide receiver, Allen said, there is plenty of rotating among players. It’s clear that the IU coaching staff doesn’t view Hale’s jump over Westbrook on the depth chart as a negative.

“I love having guys battling for spots,” Allen said. “I think that makes everything better. And it makes our team better.”

The aforementioned duo-turned-trio features incredible size for a college receiving unit. Both Westbrook and Cobbs match Hale’s height, with Westbrook listed at 6-foot-3 and Cobbs at 6-foot-4. Those three players, in addition to 6-foot-5 senior tight end Ian Thomas, will give Lagow a plethora of deep-ball and red-zone options to look for. 

When IU takes the field against Ohio State on Thursday, it’ll likely be Hale lining up opposite Cobbs. Westbrook may be on the sideline, but it probably won’t be for long. On Allen’s teams, nothing is permanent.

“I want our guys understanding that nothing is set in stone,” Allen said. “I don't care what you did last year."