"You Are a Badass" discusses manifestation and forgiveness

Arts Filler

You are a badass. You are. You should look at yourself in the mirror and say it every single day. Your thoughts are a powerful tool.

If you feel uncomfortable talking to yourself in the mirror — you shouldn’t, but it’s okay if you do — then check out Jen Sincero’s book “You are a Badass” and give it a read for some life tips. 

I read the book over spring break in Orlando, FL, my feet perched up on the side of the balcony connected to my hotel room; I read it again at the pool while lying in the sun and once more on the cramped airplane home.

Then I read it again, snippets during finals week for motivation, and then in full last week, just to remind myself.

There are some books you can read over and over, finding new information every single time, and this is one of those books.

Sincero discusses how we got to be the way that we are, how we can embrace who we are, how to tap into your thoughts and use them for good, how to “kick some ass" and more in her 244 page self-help book. 

There’s some great advice in this book. I’m not just talking about advice as in “maybe do this once and solve all your problems” type of advice. I’m talking about the kind of advice you keep in the back of your mind every single day and actively practice.

Sincero discusses tapping into “Source Energy” – which, she says, you can call “God.” I like to say “The Universe,” which is one of many alternate options. 

“Whatever you choose to call it isn’t important, what is important is that you start to develop an awareness of, and a relationship with, the Source Energy that’s surrounding you and within you,” she writes. 

“All energy vibrates at a certain frequency," she continues. "Which means you’re vibrating at a certain frequency, and everything you desire, and don’t desire, is also vibrating at a certain frequency.” 

If you’ve ever heard of the Law of Attraction, she discusses that too. If you focus on what makes you feel good, you’ll attract things that make you feel good. 

A lot of people are skeptical of this. I was. But manifestation is a very real thing, at least in terms of your self-perception. Your thoughts ultimately rule your entire life, which is something I never once thought about before reading this book.

Manifesting is one of the more important things I read about in this book. I use it every single day. I envision myself at my dream job and talk about where I’m going to go once I graduate. That’s right. Where I’m going, not where I want to go. I envision myself getting the job before I even go in for the interview — this has worked for me twice so far. I tell myself every single day that I’m going to do big things because I am. Manifest.

Another piece of advice that I thought was extremely important in this book was to forgive.

“Whatever happened, happened,” Sincero writes. “Holding on will not change this fact, it will just keep the negative feelings from the past alive, keep you a prisoner to your pain, and lower your frequency.” 

Basically, forgive for yourself. Let go of things, not out of surrender, but because you’re responsible for your own happiness, and you can’t be happy if someone, or something, that makes you unhappy is sitting in the corner of your brain with their arms crossed. Usher them out the door, and don’t give them a second thought.

My favorite part of this entire book is that most of the chapters in this book end return to the same fundamental lesson.

Love yourself. 

You are a badass. And you should love yourself. If you don’t — or even if you do — go ahead and pick up a copy of “You are a Badass” by Jen Sincero for some additional advice. I got my copy from Target and it has changed my life. It might just do something similar for you.