IU alum Jerome Adams appointed U.S. surgeon general

Indiana State Health Commissioner Dr. Jerome Adams was selected by President Trump to be U.S. surgeon general on 
Thursday.

Adams, who was reappointed by Governor Holcomb as Indiana’s state health commissioner in January, is a former IU School of Medicine doctorate student and assistant professor of clinical anesthesia, according to the Indiana State Department of Health website.

Adams had served as Indiana’s state health commissioner since 2014, when he was appointed by then Governor Mike Pence.

“I have worked closely with Dr. Adams for several years on efforts to respond to the opioid abuse and heroin use epidemics across 
Indiana,” Senator Donnelly said in a press release. “He has been a willing partner, and I look forward to talking with him about his priorities for the surgeon general position.”

Senator Todd Young also welcomed Adams into his new position. “I commend the President on his nomination of Dr. Jerome Adams to serve as our nation’s surgeon general. The President would be hard-pressed to find a more exceptional person for this position,” Young said in a press release.

Adams will be the 20th surgeon general, replacing Sylvia Trent-Adams. Trent-Adams, the current acting surgeon general, was appointed by Trump to replace Vivek Murthy, an Obama administration appointment.