3 IU researchers receive $1.8 million in NSF grants

Campus Filler

The National Science Foundation awarded $1.8 million in grants to three IU researchers.

Julia Arciero, Kylie Peppler and Adam Ward received Faculty Early Career Development Awards, IU announced last Thursday in a press release.

The grants will be used for the researchers’ projects in disease treatment, computer science and river pollution.

NSF CAREER Awards are intended to support early-career faculty in building a foundation for lifetimes in academics, according to the release.

“NSF early-career grants are among the most competitive research awards available to scientists launching their independent research careers,” Vice President for Research Fred Cate said in the release. “Recipients are widely recognized as leaders charting new paths in their respective fields.”

Arciero, an assistant professor of mathematical sciences at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, received nearly $600,000 to study peripheral arterial disease. The disease affects more than 10 million Americans and is expected to affect more over time. A five-year project on the disease began in May, according to the release.

Peppler, an associate professor of learning sciences in the School of Education at IU-Bloomington, received nearly $500,000.

She researches the equity of computer and information science programs with a goal of balancing the gender makeup in computing by improving learning environments.

Her five-year project began last August.

Ward was awarded more than $700,000 to study hydrologic exchange processes in river corridors. He is an assistant professor in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs. Results from his research, which began July 1, are expected to improve the effective management of water resources, according to the release.