King and Scales named IU Athletes of the Year

Freshman Lilly King practices turns during practice on Dec. 7, 2015 in the Counsilman-Bilingsley Aquatic Center. King was named IU athlete of the year for 2016-17.

Junior women’s swimmer Lilly King and senior linebacker Tegray Scales have been named IU’s 2016-17 Athletes of the Year according to an IU Department of Athletics press 
release.

IU Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, Fred Glass, congratulated the two athletes on their accomplishments.

“Reaching our highest athletic potential and winning championships is a top priority for IU Athletics and Lilly King and Tegray Scales represent true competitive greatness,” Glass said in the release. “They are incredible athletes who serve as ideal standard bearers of our championship heritage.”

After winning this award in 2015-16, King remains the recipient of this prestigious award for a second straight year. During her sophomore season, she earned four All-America honors at the 2017 NCAA Championships where she defended her individual national titles in the 100 breaststroke and 200 breaststroke.

At the Big Ten Championships, she was a part of four first-place finishes. King was named Big Ten Swimmer of the Championships, Big Ten Swimmer of the Year, first team All-Big Ten and Academic All-Big Ten.

In 2016, Scales became the first Hoosiers linebacker recognized on an 
All-America team since 1987 after earning second team All-America honors from SI.com. During his senior season, he led the conference and ranked third nationally with his nine double-figure tackle games.

Scales led the country with 93 solo stops and 23.5 tackles for loss. He had the most tackles in the Big Ten with 126, ranking him tenth nationally. He also had seven sacks on the year and returned an interception for a touchdown.