Martin McCrory to step down as vice provost for educational inclusion and diversity

Associate Professor of Business Law Martin McCrory, left, accepts the Institutional Excellence Award from awards chair Carmen Suarez. IU announced that McCrory will resign from his position as associate vice president for the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs.

IU has announced a new associate vice president for the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs following the current Vice President, Martin A. McCrory’s, announcement of resignation Tuesday, May 2.

Current Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Development and Diversity John Nieto-Phillips will be taking over for McCrory on May 15, according to a May 2 IU press release. Nieto-Phillips will also assume McCrory’s current roles as IU Bloomington’s chief diversity officer and vice provost for educational inclusion and diversity.

McCrory will resume his faculty position at the Kelley School of Business following his resignation.

McCrory, who has been vice provost and associate vice president for the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs since spring of 2013, saw the office through a time of growth and development.

“I am truly honored to have worked alongside Martin as his leadership spearheaded a number of transformative initiatives that have created amazing new pathways for IU students,” said James Wimbush, vice president for diversity, equity and multicultural affairs and dean of the University Graduate School, in a release. “Martin has been an invaluable colleague who has left a powerful legacy that will benefit students for generations to come.”

Among his accomplishments during his tenure, McCrory oversaw the increase of funding for both 21st Century Scholars and Group 
Scholars—the latter of which went from funding scholars for one year to four years.

He also led the process for IU Bloomington to be awarded the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award from Insight Into Diversity magazine two years in a row, according to the release.

“I am extremely proud of my team and what we’ve been able to accomplish for Indiana University students, faculty and staff,” McCrory said in the release. “Any success was only made possible through partnerships with our deans, administrators and vice provosts and their excellent staffs. My return to Kelley will allow me to continue and increase partnerships and research collaborations throughout the campus.”

Nieto-Phillips, who in addition to currently being the associate vice provost for faculty development and diversity is also an associate professor of history and Latino studies, completed his bachelor’s, master’s and 
doctoral degrees at the University of California Los Angeles as a first-generation college student, according to a profile by IU.

While Nieto-Phillips has only been vice provost for faculty development and diversity since January of 2016, in that time he has created an annual diversity workshop on implicit bias and best practices for IUB’s faculty hiring committees and began a diversity strategic planning process with each school within IUB, according to the profile.

“John has done a phenomenal job of ensuring that our commitment to diversity in our faculty hiring practices is backed up through effective processes,” Robel said in the profile. “His coordinated work with deans and faculty throughout campus has directly increased the number of underrepresented faculty being recruited to our campus – and his work on ensuring these faculty members have opportunities for growth and development is helping to keep them here.”