IU creates program for freshmen who move in prior to Welcome Week

A freshman moves his belongings into his residence hall. Move in day took place on Wednesday and will continue throughout the week.

First year students moving to campus early will be expected to participate in the Experience IU program through the Office of First Year Experience Programs.

The Experience IU program is run through an app, which allows students to view campus events and add them to a personalized schedule.

The overall goals are to help students who come to campus early become familiar with IU and meet other students.

“Students who come early sit in their rooms or wander campus by themselves and that’s not very welcoming,” said Sarah Nagy, senior associate director of FYE. “So we wanted to do something for them.”

Events on the app come from a wide range of departments and institutions at IU, such as the culture centers, the Provost’s office, faculty members, the arts and humanities council and various museums around 
campus.

The app categorizes each event into arts, inclusivity, academics and careers, service and leadership, or health and wellness.

Throughout the year and especially during the weeks before the beginning of Welcome Week, there will be team building activities, keynote speakers, scavenger hunts and more.

The app won’t be able to include every campus event, but FYE is trying to offer a wide variety of events that are open to all students.

“We don’t want it to be overwhelming,” Nagy said. “It’s a way to make it easier. As they get out and about on campus it becomes less intimidating.”

Events on the app are tailored toward first year students and are meant to help them explore campus further.

Experience IU was first launched last year and accumulated more than 100,000 views, so Nagy said they think it has been successful so far.

The app’s calendar is not available in the summer, but the program will kick off for students who come prior to the Wednesday of Welcome Week.

If students move into campus early and are not a part of an established program such as athletics or Marching Hundred, they will be expected to download the app and participate in programming.

“It will give them an opportunity to get familiar with campus and their colleagues who are also here early,” Nagy said. “And then they can help welcome the rest of the students when they arrive during Welcome Week.”

The app will be available for Welcome Week and the rest of the year to keep first year students involved in campus activities.

Events are not posted yet, but Nagy said students can check their website at fye.indiana.edu for more information as event details are solidified.