Men's golf finishes middle of the pack at Grand Canyon Invite

Sports Filler

After finishing dead last at the Desert Mountain Intercollegiate, IU men's golf bounced back this weekend at the Grand Canyon Invite. The Hoosiers carded a team score of 295 on Sunday to finish in eighth place at the 14-team tournament with an overall score of 865.

The top individual performances for IU came from freshman Brock Ochsenreiter and sophomore Jack Sparrow, who both finished tied for 16th with a score of 2-under par (211).

This weekend tied Ochsenreiter's best career finish, after he also tied for 16th at Windon Memorial earlier this year. It is Sparrow's career-best finish, but since he competed as an individual, his score did not count toward the team score.

Ochsenreiter played his first nine holes at 4-under par on Sunday, but ran into trouble on the back nine and finished with a score of 1-over par 72 to give him a 54-hole score of 211 (-2).

"Brock had it going," IU coach Mike Mayer said. "Without a doubt his best tournament at Indiana University." 

After shooting a career-best 67 on day one and 69 on day two, Sparrow carded a 75 in the final round to match Ochsenreiter. Senior Andrew Havill played par golf on his first 10 holes Sunday but posted a final round score of 75 to finish at 4-over par with a score of 217 and in a tie for 30th.

Junior Christian Fairbanks, who emerged as a threat at Desert Mountain, also closed the tournament with a 4-over round of 75, leaving him with a total score of 219 and a tie for 42nd at 6-over par.

Junior Brendon Doyle closed out with a 77 and tied for 59th individually at nine over par while sophomore Jake Brown tied for 63rd after his final round 73 put him at 10-over par.

IU hosts the Hoosier Invitational on April 1 and 2 at the IU Championship Golf Course, and Mayer said he has high expectations.

"We have one goal, and that's to win," Mayer said.