weekend

Sundance In Review: Looking back day-by-day

A Ghost Story

Day One: Tuesday, Jan. 24

My movies started Wednesday at 6 p.m., so Tuesday was spent simply unpacking, acclimating and exploring. I can’t stress enough how beautiful Park City is. Even though it has been under 20 degrees with more than two feet of snow, walking around outside was absolutely invigorating and hasn’t gotten old at all.

Because this was my first Sundance, I had a lot of planning to do in order to make sure I could get from theater to theater in time for each movie. Even in just the first few hours, I learned so much about time management — don’t schedule movies less than four hours apart. The learning curve will definitely help the next trip run smoothly.

Day Two: Wednesday, Jan. 25

My friend and fellow movie buff Chok Suwanavisootr drove to Park City with me around 10 a.m. so we could explore the town, visit exclusive pass-holder venues and eat some local food — Davanza’s pizza was a favorite. I saw “Landline,” “Newness” and “I Don’t Feel at Home in This World Anymore,” all of which I thoroughly enjoyed for very 
different reasons.

The last two films had question-and-answer sessions from the directors and cast members, which was a bit surreal after watching their films. “I Don’t Feel at Home in This World Anymore” ended up winning the Grand Jury Prize for a Dramatic Film, 
Sundance’s highest honor.

All in all, day one was incredible. I saw movies that made me laugh, cry and wince in that order, and met fantastic people with similar interests.

Day Three: Thursday, Jan. 26

After attending a midnight premiere last night and getting home at around 3 a.m., having to get up at 6 a.m. for an early morning movie wasn’t as fun as it may sound. Fortunately, the thought of being at Sundance and seeing new movies was an emotional defibrillator for me, so waking up energized wasn’t difficult.

Chok and I arrived in Park City about 90 minutes before my film started, which we decided was the perfect amount of time before every showing.

I was lucky enough to see “A Ghost Story” and “Thoroughbred” today, both of which sold out and were amazing films.

Then we ate dinner at an unbelievably classy restaurant called 350 Main, where our waitress kept bragging about all of the celebrities, including Peter Dinklage and Shailene Woodley, “the girl from ‘Divergent,” she’d served during the week. So far everybody I’ve met here has been so happy and friendly, and they all made my trip even more enjoyable.

Day Four: Friday, Jan. 27

My judgement was premature — Sundance may hide behind a façade of joy and friendliness, but it is actually a savage free-for-all where an avid movie-goer can’t hesitate or show mercy.

I’m half joking, but the wait list to get into certain releases is quite a gamble. However, it’s sometimes necessary.

Luckily, I made it in to see “Ingrid Goes West” today but was one of the last five people to enter the auditorium. Hundreds behind me didn’t make it in. I wouldn’t have had to deal with the wait list if I had given myself time to travel from theater to theater — lesson learned.

Afterward, I saw “Berlin Syndrome,” which was intense and thrilling. At night, we went to a fun dramatization of a “Sheriffs vs. Robbers” skit, which contained an exciting gun fight between the two sides and ended with all of the robbers dying and the casthanding out candy for all of the children in the crowd.

Day four was yet another blast and ended with another night of just four hours of sleep.

Day Five: Saturday, Jan. 28

Running on little sleep was not something I could complain about when every day was filled with incredible sights both in my surroundings and on the screens. That being said, I started off Saturday with the only disappointing film — “Golden Exits” — of my trip.

The following two films, however, were my absolute favorites: “Chasing Coral” and “Band Aid.” The first of those two ended in thunderous applause and left the entire audience in tears, myself included.

Viewing these last two films alone would have made my week worth the price of admission. My ticket package included two tickets to the Awards Night Ceremony, but the two-hour line in zero-degree weather turned my new friend Seth and me away to the bars instead, and, in keeping with my new Sundance tradition, I ended the last night with only four hours of sleep before I left for Bloomington.

Taking a look back

The Sundance Film Festival is a dream come true for movie lovers of all kinds. Every festival-goer was excited and friendly, and I made plenty of professional and personal connections. At “Landline,” I met the parents of one of the Music Supervisors for “Band Aid.” At “Newness,” I met the Director of the Sydney Film Festival.

From theater to theater, I sat next to fellow cinephiles and had fantastic conversations with each of them about our studies, favorite films and aspirations.

What I loved most about Sundance was that it removed the veil between filmmakers and moviegoers. Watching films with the cast and crew in the same room, and then participating in a question-and-answer session afterwards really connected the two groups in a way that I had never experienced before.

All but one of my screenings was completely sold out and dozens of people were turned away because of it. Every movie, good or bad, ended with uproarious applause, which made every audience a pleasure to be a part of. Sundance was an unforgettable experience and was, without a doubt, one of the best and most rewarding weeks of my life.

Blake Schwarz

blakschw@indiana.edu

@TheCinemaElite