Monday, June 17

crime & courts

Bomb threat closes Indianapolis Jewish Community Center

Region Filler

A bomb threat Monday morning closed the Indianapolis Jewish Community Center for most of the day.

Someone at the JCC called police at 10:20 a.m. about a bomb threat to the north side of the facility, according to Fox 59 News. The JCC confirmed the threat on its website at 10:40 a.m., and everyone was evacuated from the premises.

Bomb-sniffing dogs and investigators swept the area for bombs but found 
nothing.

Activities at the center resumed after the all clear from investigators.

The Indianapolis JCC threat came the same day as threats to JCC and Jewish schools in several other states, including Pennsylvania, Michigan, Delaware, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Alabama. All of the centers have been cleared and 
reopened.

“While we are relieved that all such threats have proven to be hoaxes and that not a single person was harmed, we are concerned about the anti-Semitism behind these threats and the repetition of threats intended to interfere with day-to-day life,” said Ira Jaffee, CEO of JCC 
Indianapolis, in a statement, according to the 
Indianapolis Star.

Sen. Joe Donnelly-D Indiana, tweeted, “We stand with you, @JCCIndianapolis. You make us stronger as a community and state and we thank you for all you do. -Joe”

Rep. Andre Carson, D-Indianapolis commented on the bomb threat on Twitter.

“I’m deeply alarmed by this morning’s threat against the @JCCIndianapolis. We must send a strong signal that this hatred won’t be tolerated,” he tweeted.

Indianapolis FBI office issued a statement on the threat.

“The FBI and the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division are investigating possible civil rights violations in connection with threats to Jewish Community Centers across the country,” the statement read. “The FBI will collect all available facts and evidence, and will ensure this matter is investigated in a fair, thorough, and impartial manner. As this is matter is ongoing, we are not able to comment further at this time.”

Police are continuing to investigate the threat.

Melanie Metzman