Black History Month transcends time

cablackhistory

Every February brings with it a celebration of Black History Month, but black history goes far beyond just 28 days.

The theme for Black History Month at IU this year was announced at Neal-Marshall Black Cultural Center Wednesday night at a kickoff. The theme, “black history made daily,” was chosen because organizers, like Monica Johnson, said they wanted to emphasize the fact that black history transcends time and a specific generation.

There were Bloomington city leaders and IU faculty and administration from the creative arts, library services and other departments. Valerie Grim, an IU professor, said black people live and breathe their culture everyday while adding pages to the story.

“We celebrate Black History Month, but this is a history that lives,” Grim said. “We are evidence of things hoped for.”

One of the departments representing the University was the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs. Yolanda Treviño, assistant to the vice president for diversity, equity and multicultural affairs, said it’s important to study black history beyond February. The audience and subsequent speakers agreed.

The message was positive, and the different speakers and participants had interesting perspectives on how to celebrate black history and make the rest of the world understand the relevance and importance of black history.

Neal-Marshall’s head librarian, Deloice Holliday, said students and faculty can further their knowledge by visiting the library. The library encourages black culture and history through its research and resources like black newspapers from around the country. All of which, is meant to encourage the continuation and documentation of black excellence, she said.

Others, like Charles Sykes, executive director of the African American Arts Institute, suggested an approach through the arts. He encouraged students and faculty to take part as audience members or participants by coming to the 
institute often.

“Enjoy this space because there are people that worked very hard to make this a reality,” Sykes said. “It’s up to you all to keep it alive and vibrant.”

Sykes reminded the audience of Herman Hudson, the man who is responsible for helping create Neal-Marshall and the African American Arts Institute. Figures like Hudson, Sykes said, remind the community to be bold and established a path for themselves and the future. He said it was also important for African Americans to use the established paths even as they expand their history.

“This entire building, this is ours,” Sykes said. “Let’s value it. Let’s use it.”

This comment from Sykes was well received. Whether or not everyone understands the significance of continuing the black story is to be seen. One student did understand the message.

Sophomore Ramir Williams said it is important to continue to live and celebrate the advancements of African Americans and to never forget the history. Williams said continuing to celebrate black history can sometimes be difficult. He said the black community has to continue to spread awareness to educate individuals who lack knowledge about black history.

“It’s something we can do as black people to continue to celebrate past the month of February,” Williams said.