Women's soccer names new associate head coach

Sports Filler

Sergio Gonzalez was named IU women’s soccer associate head coach Thursday after he spent four seasons as an assistant coach with the team.

The decision to promote Gonzalez was made by IU Coach Amy Berbary, who hired him as an assistant coach after accepting her position in 2013. Gonzalez is the first person to have the position of associate head coach since Berbary took over the program.

“Sergio has been with me right from the start,” Berbary said. “He’s been working tirelessly for four years, and I thought the time was right.”

As an assistant coach, Gonzalez’s role with the team included being the goalkeeping coach and working with defenders. Berbary said this on-field role for Gonzalez will not change as a result of his promotion.

Five different goalkeepers have appeared in games for IU during Gonzalez’s time as goalkeeping coach. This includes freshman goalkeeper Sarah L’Hommedieu, who led the Big Ten in saves last season with 93.

Gonzalez oversaw several notable defensive achievements, including a 463-minute scoreless streak during the 2015 season, by IU as an assistant coach.

Berbary said Gonzalez’s ability to mentor young goalkeepers was a main reason for his promotion.

“The way he’s produced with our goalkeepers has been unbelievable,” Berbary said. “It’s a key position on the field for us, and I’ll argue with anyone that he is one of the best coaches in the conference.”

Gonzalez began his coaching career as an assistant at Slippery Rock before he and Berbary both were assistant coaches at Dayton.

While Berbary left Dayton to become an assistant coach at Auburn, Gonzalez became the head coach at the New Jersey Institute of Technology.

After spending two seasons in charge of the Highlanders, Gonzalez was able to reunite with Berbary when she became head coach of the Hoosiers.

“As a coach you’re looking for opportunities to grow,” Gonzalez said. “This program has become part of my life and part of my family’s life. It’s absolutely a great opportunity.”

Dating back to their days at Dayton, Berbary and Gonzalez said they have been friends for 10 years.

Berbary said she values being being able to bounce ideas off one another with Gonzalez.

“Our personalities mix very well,” Berbary said. “We are willing to argue a bit and there’s no hard feelings.”

While Gonzalez said he is honored by the opportunity presented to him by his friend, he also credits the players during his time at IU for being receptive to his coaching methods.

“You create an environment, and you hope the players trust what you’re doing,” Gonzalez said. “It’s a testament to the players that we’ve had here and to what we are doing.”

As the team begins its offseason practices and workouts, Gonzalez said he is looking forward to continuing to grow the program alongside his friend.

“This means even more coming from Amy,” Gonzalez said. “It’s not often you get to work with a good friend.”