Monday, June 17

crime & courts

Sex offender arrested on warrant after public domestic disturbance

Region Filler

A man convicted of child molestation was arrested Saturday on a warrant for failing to register as a sex offender.

Jason Kincaid, 41, is charged with failure to register as a sex or violent offender, a felony. He’s also charged with misdemeanors for domestic battery, false identity statement and possession of marijuana.

In 2008, Kincaid pleaded guilty to a child molestation charge. He appeared to have been released from the department of correction in 2012, based on records from MyCase, Indiana’s public case summary service. He was convicted on a failure to register charge in 2013 and was charged with failure to register again in October.

Police were called Saturday afternoon to the B-Line Trail Switchyard Trailhead after a witness said they saw a man striking a woman, Bloomington Police Sgt. Pam Gladish said.

The responding officer took descriptions from the witness. A second officer was called to the scene and found the couple.

The second officer found Kincaid and Beverly Gentry, 49, on South Walnut Street. While pulling up, the officer saw Gentry strike Kincaid in the back of the head.

Gentry, who appeared intoxicated, said she and Kincaid were in a relationship. She said she did not hit Kincaid. She was arrested on a misdemeanor battery charge.

Kincaid gave a name and birthdate other than his own when the officer first approached him, Gladish said.

He was arrested on the domestic battery charge. After handcuffing him, police found a leafy green substance believed to be marijuana on his person.

Gentry gave police Kincaid’s real name during an interview at the Monroe County Correctional Center, Gladish said. Police then found the active warrant for failure to register. His bond on that charge is set at $50,000.