weekend

Weekend Spring Music Preview: Rock, R&B, and retired rappers

ENTER MUS-GRAMMYS 145 LA

Migos — "Culture" — Jan. 27

Migos’ “Bad and Boujee” is the number-one song in America. The trap trio, hailing from Lawrenceville, Georgia, probably owes a big thank you to Donald Glover’s recent Golden Globes lip-service and a slightly smaller thank you to that brave YouTuber who mashed up the first minute of "Bad" with a clip from PBS Kid’s “Sid the Science Kid.” Here’s hoping the memes keep coming when Migos drops its second album, "Culture," later this month. Expect superstar production from Metro Boomin, Nard & B and 808 Mafia and guest appearances from DJ Khaled, 2 Chainz and Travis Scott.

Lupe Fiasco — "DROGAS Light" — Feb. 10

Early last year Chicago rapper Lupe Fiasco tweeted he would release three albums — "DROGAS," "SKULLS" and "ROY" — and then retire. Like his best albums, the plan was ambitious and probably overthought. After months of silence, Fiasco tweeted in October that the records would be delayed due to sample clearance issues. After dropping “N.E.R.D.,” a freestyle featuring a lyric that drew heavy criticism for its anti-Semitic content in December, Fiasco retired and cancelled all three records via Twitter. That self-imposed exile only lasted a few weeks. Apparently his next album, "DROGAS Light," is forthcoming. Enjoy responsibly in February.

Tinashe — "Joyride" — Spring TBA

In November, R&B artist Tinashe released "Nightride." Fans looking for another “2 On” were probably disappointed. The DJ Mustard bangers of her 2014 debut, “Aquarius,” had been replaced by moody, atmospheric production from Boi-1da and Metro Boomin. They're good tunes for a winter walk but probably not something to turn up to on spring break. Enter "Joyride," Tinashe’s next official studio album due out this spring. It’s the fun half of the project. “They are equally me,” Tinashe said in a Rolling Stone interview of the double album project. “I don’t like to be limited to one particular thing so I want to represent that duality and that sense of boundlessness in my art.”

Drake — "More Life" — TBA

Confused about the difference between a mixtape and an album? You should figure that out soon. Drake’s recently announced playlist, "More Life," is bound to blur the lines further.

“I want to give you a collection of songs that become the soundtrack to your life,” Drake said on his Apple Music Beats 1 show.

After his fourth album, "VIEWS," alienated fans and critics last summer with its bloated runtime and ponderous tracks, a playlist might be the course correction Apple Music’s flagship artist needs.

Mastodon — "Untitled" — TBA

Atlanta progressive metal band Mastodon said to Metal Hammer late last year that their follow-up to 2014’s “Once More ‘Round the Sun” was “in the bag.” Details so far are slim, and right now, the album doesn’t yet have a single, release date or title. But that isn’t to say the record’s a complete mystery. Guitarist Bill Kelliher told GuitarMania that Mastodon’s seventh album will feature stripped-down rockers, and fans can expect some psychedelic influences. Rumors abound that Mastodon’s latest might even be a double album. Horns up.

St. Vincent — TBA —TBA

Hot take: indie rock’s lost its edge. Conventional wisdom: Annie Clark shreds. In a recent Guitar World interview, she said St. Vincent’s new album would explore creative trails not covered by her five previous studio albums. Expect changes in Clark’s lyrics, too. In that same interview, she said, “only music that has something pretty real to say is gonna cut the mustard.”