IU helps Navy integrate smart technology into defenses

Navy personnel and IU School of Informatics faculty pose for a photo after signing an agreement to help integrate smart technology from IU into the naval defenses.

The IU School of Informatics and Computing started work with the United States Navy on Jan. 25 to integrate smart technology into the country’s defenses.

The Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division, will work with IU researchers to transform military sensor technology, according to an IU press release.

“Artificial intelligence, machine learning and 
human-computer interaction are three areas of interest to the researchers at Crane, and also areas of great strength at our school,” said Martina Barnas, assistant dean for research and director of research collaborations at the IU School of Informatics and Computing, said in the release.

According to the release, the partnership is part of a larger goal for the informatics school to create longer-term relationships with NSWC Crane, one of the largest naval bases in the country that brings significant economic benefits to southern Indiana.

The lead researchers on the project are Sriraam Natarajan, associate professor in the IU School of Informatics and Computing, and Robert Cruise, chief scientist for the Special Warfare and Expeditionary Systems Department at NSWC Crane.

The collaboration will use models to translate information from drones or radar arrays, which produce massive amounts of data, into a more understandable form.

“Machine learning refers to the development of algorithms that enable computers to learn and adapt to new situations based upon existing data,” Natarajan said.

To do this IU researchers must have access to real data from NSWC Crane.

A standard Navy monitoring system can use more than 100 sensors to detect a variety of phenomena, like infrared light and microwave emissions, according to the release.

This access to real information, real life problems, Natarajan said, is what’s most exciting about this opportunity.

“I am trying to provide my students with an opportunity to work with real problems,” Natarajan said. “That will make them more hireable to these top 
companies.”

He said the military was equally excited about the opportunity to work 
together.

“With sensor technology growing so advanced and proliferating so quickly, human operators are unable to keep up with the information coming in,” Cruise said.

Part of the agreement was for the IU School of Informatics and Computing will provide support for a graduate researcher on the project. Natarajan said the fact that a small town like Bloomington can build collaborations of this caliber is very encouraging to other academic researchers.

“It’s great to find a partner in southern Indiana who’s pursuing the same topics we’re studying,” Natarajan said in the release.