ICYMI: Updates on what Trump has done his first week in office

US NEWS TRUMP-PIPELINES ABA

Since President Trump was sworn in Friday, his first week has been packed with executive orders, appointments and White House press briefings. Here is a rundown of his most recent actions.

United States-Mexico border wall construction ordered

President Trump signed an executive order Wednesday morning to take the first steps to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border.

Trump also called for a boost in border patrol forces and an increase in efforts to deport illegal immigrants. The executive order will also seek to eliminate sanctuary cities and the practice of releasing undocumented immigrants detained by federal officials before trial.

In an interview on ABC News Trump told David Muir construction of the wall would begin in months. Trump said negotiations will begin soon for Mexico to pay for the wall through 
reimbursements.

This is the first in a series of orders expected to crack down on illegal immigration, decrease the number of refugees who can settle in the U.S., and prevent Syrians and people from other “terror-prone” nations from coming to the U.S.

Government agencies ordered to stop using Twitter and publishing news releases

The Trump administration has ordered employees at the 
Environmental Protection Agency and in scientific research at the Department of Agriculture to halt publication of “outward-facing” documents and news 
releases.

EPA employees are banned from talking to the media, including through social media, and they are barred from awarding any new contracts or grants.

President Trump signed an executive order after his inauguration Friday.

The order enforces a “regulatory freeze pending review” for all federal agency rules that had been finalized during former President Barack Obama’s term but have not yet taken effect.

The prohibitions came out Tuesday when the EPA delayed implementation of at least 30 environmental rules finalized in the last months of Obama’s term. These regulations include updated air pollution rulings for some states, renewable fuel standards and limits on the amount of formaldehyde that can leach from wood products.

Agriculture Research Services chief Sharon Drumm sent an email to employees in her department telling them of the media blackout.

“Starting immediately and until further notice, ARS will not release any public-facing documents,” she said. “This includes, but is not limited to, news releases, photos, fact sheets, news feeds, and social 
media content.”

The ARS guidance was not published in coordination with other USDA offices and partially contradicted a department-wide memo that was sent out the same day, according to the Washington Post.

The memo, issued by the department’s acting deputy administrator, Michael Young, was designed to offer guidance on interim procedures until a new secretary takes over the USDA.

“The ARS guidance was not reviewed by me,” Young said in a phone call with reporters Tuesday night, according to the Washington Post. “I would not have put that kind of guidance out.”

Young said the guidance in his memo was policy-related and “that sort of thing.”

The ARS has a $1 billion budget and employs thousands of scientists at research locations across the country.

Its primary task with conducting research is to “develop and transfer solutions to agricultural problems of high national priority,” according to the USDA.

Research mainly focuses on topics such as animal and crop production, food safety, nutrition and 
agricultural sustainability.

Voter fraud investigation

Trump called for a major investigation into voter fraud Wednesday. Trump is following through on claims he made during the presidential race that the election was rigged against him.

“I will be asking for a major investigation into VOTER FRAUD, including those registered to vote in two states, those who are illegal and ... even, those registered to vote who are dead (and many for a long time). Depending on results, we will strengthen up voting procedures!” Trump wrote in two consecutive tweets.

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said the voter fraud investigation may go beyond the 2016 election and could center on large states where Trump didn’t necessarily compete. Spicer said problems with illegal voting occurred in bigger states. He did not cite any evidence.