weekend

"Hoosiers" and "Indianians" in the movies

Hoosiers 1986 Movie

“The Hoosier Schoolmaster” — 1914

The tale, based on novelist Edward Eddleston’s brother, of an Indiana school teacher has actually been adapted to film three times — in 1914, 1924 and 1935.

“A Hoosier Romance” — 1918

Silent film actress Colleen Moore stars in the film version of the James Whitcomb Riley poem, wherein a farm girl evades her father’s plans and marries a hired hand.

“Roberta” — 1935

A jazz band called the Wabash Indianians travels to Paris with the football-playing hero of this Dust Bowl-era musical but is denied the opportunity to play after the café owner who booked them realizes they are not, as he assumed, a group of musically-talented Native Americans.

“Hoosier Schoolboy” — 1937

A young, troubled schoolboy, played by Mickey Rooney, connects with a new schoolteacher after his father, a war veteran, begins drinking.

“Remember the Night” — 1940

A down-on-her-luck woman who stole a bracelet from a New York City store bonds with her prosecutor over their Hoosier heritage, spends Christmas with his family and falls in love.

“Hoosier Holiday” — 1943

The Hoosier Hot Shots, an American quartet that appeared regularly in films in the 1940s, plays a group of brothers who hope to avoid the draft in World War II by winning over the draft boardsman’s daughter.

“Hoosiers” — 1986

The iconic sports film, loosely based on Milan High School’s 1954 state championship victory, was selected for preservation in the U.S. National Film Registry through the Library of Congress.