COLUMN: Crowd size makes little difference

Much ado has been made about crowd sizes this election cycle. President Trump and his supporters were always quick to point out the larger sizes of his crowds during the primaries and general election, as though this indicative was of levels of support.

Last week, we were treated to comparisons between the sizes of Trump’s and Obama’s inauguration crowds, and subsequently we saw arguments about the size of Women’s March compared to the inauguration.

Apparently, some people care deeply about this. Trump’s press secretary, Sean Spicer, spent quite a bit of time arguing that his new boss’s inauguration was much larger than it appeared all because of a media conspiracy.

None of this actually 
matters.

If you want to know how many people supported Trump or Obama, there is a very convenient, official government figure provided for you. Just Google “2012 and 2016 election results” and bust out the calculator.

This fixation on shows of force is not healthy for the republic. I believe democracy is predicated on casting a vote then going home.

While nonviolent protests and rallies are certainly not a negative, the sort of turnout brinkmanship is. It is indicative of greater problems in the system if hundreds of thousands or millions of people are discontent enough to travel hundreds of miles to demonstrate.

Consider what is perhaps the most divisive issue of contemporary times — abortion. This Monday, hundreds of thousands of pro-life Americans are expected to turn out across the country. Hundreds of thousands arrive in the capital every year.

This arises out of foundational moral disagreements within American society. These sorts of massive protests happen when segments of society are diametrically opposed to each other’s goals, which is certainly not healthy.

At a time when our politics are more polarized than any other in recent memory, we should be very careful about encouraging people to take to the streets.

It is irresponsible and petty of the Trump administration to make such an issue out of crowd size just as it is foolish and childish for the media to fight so hard over this hill. When the New York Times starts writing about crowd scientists and their estimates, it is time to take a step back.

If you want to know how people feel about the new president or a certain issue, Gallup will provide some nice numbers for you.

President Trump has his work cut out for him. Conciliation is always difficult, but now is the time.

He must take a mature and stately tone and realize not every minor slight matters. Digging out of this hole will require both sides stop shoveling out what little dirt remains.

We can’t spend time squabbling about whose crowd was the biggest, and it’s silly of everyone to do so.