Monday, June 17

crime & courts

Alleged Detroit heroin dealers arrested

Region Filler

Police arrested two alleged Detroit-based heroin dealers early Thursday morning and charged one suspect with an additional felony after a bag of heroin fell out of his underwear.

Deven Graham, 22, is charged with one felony count of dealing narcotics. Larusso Rippie, 22, is charged with one narcotics dealing felony at the same level as Graham plus another higher-level narcotics dealing felony.

Both Graham and Rippie have been under investigation by Bloomington Police Department detectives, but the investigations were separate until Wednesday night, BPD Lt. Jeff Canada said.

Police began investigating Rippie after controlled heroin buy, in which a confidential police informant purchases drugs, Jan. 4 and Jan. 19. Graham has been under investigation since a controlled buy Jan. 20.

The detective investigating Graham received word Wednesday that Graham was on his way from Detroit to Bloomington. Just before midnight police stopped his vehicle, a black Dodge Caravan with New York plates, for going seven miles per hour above the speed limit on State Road 37 in Morgan County, Canada said. The driver was Graham. His passenger was Rippie.

The detective investigating Graham recognized Rippie from the other investigation. The detective also realized Graham had been present but unidentified at one of the controlled buys from Rippie.

At the stop a dog from the Martinsville Police Department K-9 unit did a sniff on the car and indicated there were drugs inside, Canada said. Police searched and found a Glock 45 handgun, which Graham had a valid permit for, but no drugs.

Both suspects were taken to Bloomington Police Headquarters. While there Rippie was taken to use the bathroom, Canada said. When he began to pull down his pants, a tied plastic bag fell from his underwear. It contained a powdery substance, which the detective determined to be heroin.

Rippie and Graham both refused to speak to police, Canada said. Both were taken to the Monroe County Correctional Center. Graham’s bail is $5,000, and Rippie’s is $30,000.