weekend

Kings of Leon's new album is heartfelt and doesn't forget its roots

Grade: A-

The new Kings of Leon album is exactly what you would expect it to be: easy to listen to and sort of inspirational.

“WALLS” — an acronym for “We Are Like Love Songs — is the Nashville, Tennessee, band’s seventh album and the first to be released in nearly three years. It is fast, with only ten songs, and very sweet.

After almost 16 years in the music scene, they can still make music to please their fans.

I don’t say that just because I am a fan.

The Followill brothers — Caleb on vocals, Nathan on drums and Jared on bass — and their cousin Matthew on lead guitar know how to evolve and grow as a group without forgetting their influences.

The album has a more modern vibe, but it doesn’t hide Kings of Leon’s southern roots and usual sound.

The track “Muchacho” is a good example of that.

Before the official Oct. 14 release of the album, the band released four singles. “Waste a Moment” was the first one, followed by “WALLS,” “Around the World” and “Reverend.”

“Around the World,” my favorite, is a great song, which Kings of Leon released with an accompanying music video.

The video is a compilation of people, from Brazilian samba dancers to a street dance group in New York CIty, all around the world dancing.

“WALLS” is the album’s ballad. Slow-paced and heartfelt, my bet is this one will become a new Kings of Leon anthem.

Another must for the playlist is “Waste a Moment.” As the opening track, it’s a great way to set up the tone for the album.

Caleb and the rest of Kings of Leon had an interview with NBC in which they talked about their comeback and how they’ve grown together as a band.

“We started out with a much more raw sound, and a lot of that was because, you know, we were still learning our craft,” Caleb said in the interview. “We’ve matured as a band, and I feel, like, as songwriters, the songs are just better and more honest and stronger all around.”

They are indeed stronger and more heartfelt in their new album. Even after all this time in the industry, they can still bring joy to their fans.

Way to go, gentlemen.