academics & research

IU ranked among world's most innovative universities

Graduation

Reuters ranked IU 37th worldwide and 25th among United States universities last week on its list of 100 most innovative universities, according to an IU release.

The ranking is an improvement for IU, which ranked 49th worldwide last year and 33rd among U.S. universities.

Reuters created the rankings based on which universities published the most scholarly articles and filed for the most patents, among other criteria.

The Bicentennial Strategic Plan, approved by IU’s trustees in 2014, stated IU Research and Technology Corporation should help promote IU entrepreneurship, according to the release.

“Without invention disclosures by Indiana University faculty, IURTC would not have had a record year in issued U.S. patents or achieved year-over-year increases in license agreements and generated revenue,” President and CEO of IURTC Tony Armstrong said in the release. “We also will implement new structures and programming to support the commercialization of IU inventions in the market.”

IU’s research and entrepreneurship also helps IU stimulate Indiana’s economic growth, said Bill Stephan, IU’s vice president for engagement.

“These latest innovation rankings, along with our record year in patent issues, reflect IU’s efforts to drive innovation, help create new jobs and support new industries,” Stephan said in the 
release.