sports men's soccer

Hoosiers set for final week of regular season

spiums

Just two games remain on the IU men’s soccer regular season slate, and it’s possible we haven’t seen this team’s full potential.

Following another 0-0 draw on the road at Wisconsin, the problems that have plagued this team all season just haven’t gone away. There’s no doubt the goal-scoring chances were there Friday in Madison, but the Hoosiers weren’t able to put one in the back of the net.

IU’s focus now shifts outside the conference for one final time this regular season as the Hoosiers welcome the St. Louis Billikens to 
Bloomington.

The Hoosiers have played their best outside the conference, with wins over Louisville, Butler and California. Those results have helped their RPI, which now sits at No. 30, and this matchup with St. Louis could help solidify that ranking with the struggles that have come within the Big Ten.

The Hoosiers did something they hadn’t done all season Friday at Wisconsin. IU senior goalkeeper Christian Lomeli replaced senior Colin Webb, who hasn’t missed a minute in goal all season, and burned his redshirt for his first career start in Madison.

It’s unclear why the change was made — and could be something to keep an eye out for in the future — but the Crown Point, Indiana, native held his own and recorded a clean sheet in a critical conference road matchup.

IU Coach Todd Yeagley said Lomeli will make his second straight start Tuesday night in the absence of Webb.

If you’re looking for goals, IU’s matchup with St. Louis may not be the place to look. IU has only scored 19 goals this season, and the Billikens, just 17.

The Hoosiers are no strangers to draws. They lead the nation in that category, with six on the season. If both teams struggle for goals like they have, the match could be decided by one goal.

A defensive match might favor IU. The Hoosiers have locked down on defense and only allowed 12 goals this year.

The Billiken offense is different than those the Hoosiers have faced in the past, however, as there is more than one player on the St. Louis attack IU needs to keep an eye out for.

Three separate Billikens are tied for the team lead in goals with three, while seven others have also found the back of the net at least once.

These two sides have a bit of history attached to their names. They are the two most winning programs in college soccer when it comes to national championships. The Billikens lead the way with 10 titles, their latest coming all the way back in 1972, while the Hoosiers have raised the trophy eight times.

The Hoosiers hold a 22-9-4 record over the Billikens in a series that goes back to 1975. IU also knocked off St. Louis on the road a season ago by a 3-2 scoreline in extra time.