COLUMN: Conservatism has a bright long-term future in America

No matter what happens with the presidential election, I believe that conservatism has a bright future in America.

Within the Republican Party today, the party of conservatism, Donald Trump has become the figurehead. Trump is certainly a polarizing figure, with many questioning the legitimacy of his commitment to conservatism.

To be honest, nobody knows what Trump’s true beliefs are. Regardless of this and the outcome of the election, what’s certain is that there will be change within the Republican Party and the conservative movement, and I am quite hopeful.

First off, there are several rising conservative stars and principled leaders representing Americans in the legislative branch. Individuals such as Senator Mike Lee, who’s 45 years old; Senator Ben Sasse, 44; Congressman Trey Gowdy, 52; and Senator Ted Cruz, 45, are all leading from the front to defend conservative principles in Congress. These leaders will lead for the next couple of decades if they so choose.

These leaders will continue to shine, exhibit conservative leadership and attempt to implement conservative solutions to our nation’s problems.

To add, there are currently 31 Republican-held state legislatures, 11 Democrat-held state legislatures, and eight split state legislatures. In these state legislatures, the majority party tends to be the more extreme of the parties, where the minority tends to be moderate. Thus, it’s clear that on the state level, conservatism is thriving in state legislatures around the country.

But even more importantly, I believe that there is a strong generation of millennial conservatives that are preparing to take greater leadership roles within the next four to eight years. There are countless young Americans today who are seeking practical, conservative solutions to problems they face each and every day.

Considering state legislatures are so conservative, this seems to be a logical stepping stone to cultivate the millennial generation of conservatives. They will gain political experience. This will aid the long-term health of the movement and add to the already-strong bench of conservative leaders on the state level.

This outlook may be long-term, but I believe that this is the right outlook. Conservative leaders of present and the future will always be looking for quality conservative solutions to the problems we face. As long as this trend continues, the conservative movement will stay healthy.

Politics can be unpredictable. Regardless of who wins the presidency and control of the Senate, conditions can change. It’s impossible to predict how the political landscape over the next decade. But, what I can say is that my generation of millennial conservatives will be ready with a sensible conservative solution.

Let me reiterate that this is a long-term framework. But at the end of the day, conservatives are in leadership roles within Senate and Congress, and within state legislatures. The addition of the younger generation of millennial conservatives makes the deal even sweeter. I believe the conservative movement has a bright long-term future in this country.