COLUMN: After countless heartbreaks IU finally seizes the moment

Junior linebacker Marcus Oliver, 44, tackles Michgian State quaterback Tyler O'Connor during the first quarter of play.

This kick was good.

With a 20-yard Griffin Oakes field goal, IU exorcised a decade’s worth of demons.

Beating a ranked Big Ten team for the first time since 2006? Check. Avenging last year’s series of heartbreaking losses at home? Check. Beating a perennial Big Ten power? Check.

The players needed this one. IU Coach Kevin Wilson needed this one. The fans needed this one. Everyone needed this one.

The celebration was unlike anything Bloomington had seen in a long time. Fans flooded the field. Players held the Old Brass Spittoon high in the air, victorious over Michigan State for the first time since 2006.

The jubilation continued on into the locker room.

“You would have liked to be in there,” senior wide receiver Mitchell Paige said. “That’s for sure.”

No more almost. No more what could have been.

It was nearly another one of those moments after the Spartans tied the game with under a minute to go. The horror movie was about to be played out again, but the Hoosiers found a way to kill that nightmare.

Maybe it’s over for good.

“We’ve been going toe-to-toe with these big guys for a long time,” Paige said. “Finally we had enough confidence and played long enough to beat them.”

IU had been knocking on the door all last season, playing close games against Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa and Michigan State. Now, they finally broke down that door and their confidence is surging.

“It’s pivotal win,” said sophomore wide receiver Luke Timian. “It’s really a win that can give us all confidence because I know we were harping on, we can play with all these teams, but there was always the question if we could finish the games. Tonight we proved we could.”

All preseason, the Hoosiers preached this season was different. Things went awry against Wake Forest and doubts crept back in. Down 14-0 Saturday, the Hoosiers could have easily folded under the weight of last year’s Big Ten champion.

But they didn’t. IU rebounded and finished Michigan State off in overtime.

The ghosts of the past loomed large over the IU program, but for one night at least, this team is different. They played a complete game against a tough opponent, winning because of both their offense and defense.

They deserved the win after the past decade of rebuilding.

No one knew that better than Paige and Jones.

“The stuff we’ve been through the past five years, me and him just hugged it out for what seemed like the longest time,” Jones said. “That was just a brotherhood, the things we’ve been through, all the trouble we’ve been through in our five years here. It all paid off. We still have a long season to play, but these are the wins we came here for.”

The rest of the Big Ten conference slate looms large, but for a night, this win is the only thing that mattered.