weekend

Vince Staples' newest EP is a difficult, but worthwhile listen

B+

Chance the Rapper’s “Coloring Book” may be the best album of the year.

It mixes gospel and rap in such a way that it creates a joyous, optimistic sentiment on every listen. Even with the baseline of gang violence infesting Chicago, Chance dreams of hope in a way that is infectious and uplifting. 

Chance the Rapper is 23, as is Vince Staples. With that said, Staples’ new EP “Prima Donna” produces the exact opposite vibe of his counterpart’s.

Chance sees the good in the bad; Staples sees the bad in the bad. This isn’t an condemnation on the music that Staples releases, just a fact that needs to be stated before you delve into his new 22-minute EP.

“Prima Donna” is the follow-up to Staples’ debut “Summertime ’06,” and his success seems to be haunting him. Relationships come and go due to his newfound fame, money is just a problem and looking for a way out seems to be a common theme in the seven tracks.

The album starts off with the classic gospel song “This Little Light of Mine” with a darkened tone. Staples drowsily recites the lyrics until a gunshot goes off. His light has died, and the rest of the album will stick to this theme.

Here’s a bit of friendly advice: Don’t listen to this first track with the earphones on full blast, because you may have a heart attack like I nearly did.

The highlight of the album and one of my favorite songs of the year is “War Ready,” a track where Staples comments on political activism, violence in society and fighting for rights until his death.

It samples André 3000’s third verse on “ATLiens,” in which he raps, “Put my Glock away. I got a stronger weapon that never runs out of ammunition / so I’m ready for war, OK.” Staples’ “stronger weapon” is his voice, and he will use it to breed change. This is a powerful song with heavy beats.

Like Chance, Staples often uses pauses in his song to illustrate a point. Where the interludes of “Coloring Book” often use the trumpet and more upbeat instruments, Staples’ grave drum hooks illustrate a point of hopelessness.

“Prima Donna” is a difficult listen. It took me quite a few attempts to get through the album, but its peaks are as good as anything else in music this year. You should listen to it — just not on full volume.