arts iu cinema

Films to screen this week at the IU Cinema

IU Cinema

Three films new to IU will be screening at the IU Cinema this week, according to a press release. “Sonita,” which first was shown Tuesday night, will have a second showing at 6:30 p.m. Sunday. The two-time Sundance Film Festival award-winning film’s title character is an Afghan refugee in Iran who dreams of making it big as a rapper. She idolizes Rihanna and Michael Jackson, and the other teenage girls in her shelter in Tehran believe she can succeed. However, her parents plan to sell her as a bride for $9,000.

“One More Time with Feeling,” a mixed-media film, will feature the new Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds album at 9 p.m. Thursday, a day before the official release of the album. It is a one-night-only cinema event focusing on an artist trying to find his way through darkness using music and narration.

John J. Valadez, the director of “The Head of Joaquin Murrieta,” is scheduled to be present at the screening of his film at 3 p.m. Friday. In the film, Murrieta’s head, which was displayed in a jar for paying visitors to observe after he was killed by bounty hunters, is taken to be buried and put to rest by Valadez. The film’s underlying messages deal with the lynching of Mexican Americans in the Southwest.

“The Head of Joaquin Murrieta” 3 p.m. Friday Sept. 9 at the IU Cinema. Free.

“Sonita” 6:30 p.m. Sunday Sept. 11 at the IU Cinema. Tickets $3 for IU students, $6 for non-students.

Maia Rabenold