Professor and Chilean pianist remembered in tribute concert

The Hammond Piano Duo, Marina Hammond and Fred Hammond, rehearses for their performance in Auer Hall. They are one of many performers for a concert celebrating  the life of Professor Alfonso Montecino with Latin American music on September 8 at 8p.m. in Auer Hall.

Jacobs School of Music faculty, students and members of the Latin American Music Center gathered Thursday night in Auer Hall to listen to classical music honoring the late professor and Chilean pianist Alfonso Montecino.

The concert featured music in this genre composed by Montecino and other artists including Maurice Ravel and Jules Massenet.

“Tonight is a very special night,” said Javier León, director of LAMC, as he welcomed the crowd. During his introduction to the concert, León thanked those involved and mentioned Montecino’s origins in Chile.

León said the family, as well as the LAMC, is in contact with the conservatory in Chile where Montecino studied to donate duplicates of his work so musicians there can have exposure to his music. Montecino’s original papers will be housed here at IU.

In addition to members of the Montecino family, LAMC founder Juan Orrego-Salas was in attendence, who León said was very close with Montecino during his lifetime.

Also in attendance were performers including Montecino’s grandson, Kenneth Gunderson, The Hammond Duo, Philip Hammond, Dean Charles Webb, Emilio Colón and the Blakemore Trio. Montecino was also close with the Hammond Duo – Marina and Fred Hammond – who both played piano during the concert.

“The Hammonds, despite the names Fred and Marina, are from Venezuela and Argentina, respectively, and they both came here to study with him partly as a connection of being Latin American. And for them, I think that was a very important thing,” said León.

Cello professor Emilio Colón said he did not have previous experience playing the piece he performed for the tribute. Nevertheless, he played the piece, which was a three-part cello solo composed by Montecino.

“I thought it would be a wonderful gesture to be able to play this for celebrating his life,” said Colón.

Although Colón said Montecino was near the retirement era when he arrived at IU, Colón became acquainted with Montecino through his cello mentor.

“I do have fond recollections of one specific concert we did of his music and probably that would be the closest I was ever with him,” said Colón. “(He was) just a wonderful, generous human being.”

Colón was the fourth artist of the night to perform. The program closed with a recording of Montecino himself playing.

Colón said he believes one of the most important things one can do is understand where he comes from and the people he comes from to figure out where he’s going.

“In that process, if we don’t pay respect to those who were here before us, who paved the way for what we’re doing, I don’t know what the purpose would be,” he said. “Hence, being part of something as beautiful as commemorating the life of a person, I think it’s an absolute beautiful touch, and I’m very honored to be taking part in it.”