COLUMN: New York Fashion Week features surprises on the runway

Arts filler image

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. The humid air begins to settle and New York Fashion Week has made its annual appearance, shaking up the world of fashion.

While we can always expect jaw-dropping shows, unbelievable gowns and countless A-list celebrity appearances, there are always a few unexpected curveballs during this highly anticipated week.

This time around, NYFW had a few tricks up its sleeve. From direct-to-consumer shows to diverse model selections, this event had people raising their eyebrows at the bold moves made in New York City.

First and foremost, NYFW has always been recognized as a time for designers to present an exclusive collection that certainly would not be available to consumers until spring of the following year at the earliest.

While direct-to-consumer shows have happened in the past, they weren’t with some of the biggest names in American fashion. When respectable designers such as Tommy Hilfiger, Tom Ford and Ralph Lauren made it known that the clothing modeled during their shows would be available for immediate sale, it shook up the game.

These high-end retailers are known for their exclusivity. When their designs are available to the public months before the usual schedule, this not only changes their way of selling their products but perhaps also the overall image of the brand, making it seem more accessible.

At a time where the demand for luxury goods doesn’t seem strong, this could be a tactic to get the revenues up and running again for these American designers.

Another move that was long overdue from high-end designers was a surge in plus-size models owning the runway. While retailers such as Aerie have started modeling their clothing on a more diverse range of body types, it isn’t something we’ve seen a lot of during NYFW.

However, Project Runway alumnus Christian Siriano made sure to stir things up. Siriano’s partnership with the plus-size retailer Lane Bryant dominated the NYFW scene as his line featured women of varying shapes and sizes.

What made Siriano’s show stand out from any other collection featuring plus-size models was that he didn’t create a press release or campaign to advertise the fact that he would have five women who were size 12 and above walking in his show, which displayed the designer’s genuine desire to make fashion accessible to all body types.

The boldest move from the fashion community was its obvious support of Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

One of the most influential people on the fashion scene, Vogue Editor-in-chief Anna Wintour, was a driving force behind one of the first shows of the week, titled “Made For History.”

The collection consists of items available for sale that clearly demonstrate support for the democratic candidate. From Marc Jacobs to Tory Burch, numerous designers contributed to the attire displayed on the runway.

The collection offered a variety of ways to show support for Clinton from an optical 3-D photo of the Democratic candidate and the “Make Herstory” slogan displayed on t-shirts, bandanas and purses.

In a world where fashion usually remains very isolated from politics, NYFW made it clear that these industry leaders have an opinion to share on the upcoming presidential race.

While NYFW is about the trends for spring, designers and the most beautiful clothing imaginable, it can also prove to be about so much more.

The power of the fashion industry can be forgotten at times, but surprises on and off the runway demonstrated that designers have the incredible power not only to change their sales tactics but also to promote the beauty of various body types and even influence the presidential election.

NYFW has come to a close, but the reveal of designers’ latest creations is far from over. The runway just flies overseas to London, where their fashion week is in full force. We are sure to see even more surprises as the reveal of Spring 2017 fashion continues across the globe.