Time remains in IU quarterback battle

Freshman quarterback Zander Diamont throws the ball during IU's game against Purdue on Nov. 29, 2014 at Memorial Stadium.

If IU were in Miami today and lined up against FIU, junior Richard Lagow would be under center for the Hoosiers.

The junior college transfer has gotten the bulk of the reps at quarterback with the first team offense and put together the best overall camp of the group to this point. But, IU Coach Kevin Wilson has cautioned the race isn’t over, and some on the defensive side of the ball feel the same way.

IU cornerbacks coach Brandon Shelby highlighted junior quarterback Zander Diamont, and junior defensive back Rashard Fant touted Diamont and sophomore Danny Cameron.

On paper, Diamont and Cameron actually have more Division-I game experience than Lagow. They have far more time logged on the practice field with the Hoosiers as well.

But, just because one quarterback starts the game doesn’t mean fans and opposing defenses won’t see another.

“You might need all three quarterbacks,” Fant said. “The year before I got here they used Tre (Roberson), Cam Coffman and Nate Sudfeld.”

Although injury has forced Wilson’s hand in recent years, poor play would be another reason Wilson would go to a second or third option.

“Someone’s got to go out there first, and if we’re playing today (Lagow) is first,” Wilson said Monday. “You can say he’s the starter, but when he gets in the game and he doesn’t play well, maybe he’s not the starter in the long run. We’ll see.”

The current trio very much resembles the three Fant mentioned.

Diamont, like Roberson, has a dual-threat capability that Shelby said makes defenses hold their breath. Cameron, like Coffman, is reliable, but the odd man out. Lagow has a big arm and enough mobility, like Sudfeld, to make opposing defenses regret giving him too much to work with.

That resemblance to Sudfeld, who left IU with his share of school records in the passing game, in both size and arm strength, could be one of the reasons Lagow has been looked upon so 
favorably.

Fant’s spent most of his time in practice facing receivers attempting to pull down Lagow’s passes, and in those receivers he sees an experienced group that serves as not just excellent options downfield, but also as guiding mentors.

“The receivers know where the ball is supposed to be,” Fant said. “They’ve learned from Nate Sudfeld. He’s told them different things, so now they can be like ‘Hey, this is what Nate used to do or this might help you right here, or 
read this.’”

Wilson said he has been pleased with how the quarterbacks have helped each other as well, and knows the depth he has at tight end, wide receiver, running back and on the offensive line means the guy he chooses doesn’t need to do 
too much.

Just manage the offense, don’t turn the ball over and get into the end zone. Simple enough, right?

That dearth of options has already been shown to be effective in practices.

“The one thing about our offense is it’s going to make you think, because they’re going to throw the ball and they’re going to do a great mix of running the ball with great running backs and a great offensive line,” Shelby said. “They’re not one-dimensional, and that always makes it tough.”