IU's Daniel Kuhn ready to cap off his season at the NCAA Championship meet

Daniel Kuhn warms up Thursday afternoon at the Billy Hayes Track. He prepared for the NCAA Outdoor Championships next week.

The record-breaking season nearly never happened.

Instead of shredding the IU record books, sophomore Daniel Kuhn almost roamed the outfield as a Trine University baseball player.

Kuhn played baseball at Shelbyville and in his senior year batted .408 and seemed destined to play baseball at the collegiate level. His speed was a valuable asset, but there was another sport where it would be better served: track.

Winning the Indiana high school state 800-meter title changed everything for Kuhn.

After the state meet, Kuhn said he lay in his bed and couldn’t sleep due because of the excitement and the looming decision.

He was in shock about becoming the first boy’s state champion from Shelbyville in a running event since 1931. His time of 1:50.91 was good for 17th in the nation, according to dyestat.com.

“I was like, ‘10 years down the road, I’m going to regret if I don’t try,’” Kuhn said. “I can always go back and play baseball. The offer to run would only be here for a short time so I was like I might as well try it. There are no regrets.”

Kuhn said when Coach Andrew Poore, IU’s recruiting coordinator, came up to talk with him in person was when Kuhn felt running could be something real.

“I talked with my mom for a few hours that night,” Kuhn said. “I was like I need to do it and I’m going to regret it if I don’t.”

The decision turned out to be a smart one for Kuhn as he has had a high level of success in his two years at IU.

The start was bumpy as Kuhn transitioned from a baseball player who also ran track, to a full-time runner.

“I really struggled those first two, two-and-half months,” Kuhn said. “I didn’t know anybody here. I didn’t take an official so I didn’t know any of the teammates. I was brand new to everything.”

That also included the training which Kuhn said kicked his butt at the beginning because he wasn’t used the high mileage.

While the transition to college wasn’t effortless, Kuhn’s freshman performances did not reflect the lack of previous training. Kuhn ran the third-fastest 500 meter in IU history at the Hoosier Open, won the 800 meter at the Hoosier Hills meet and finished 11th in the 800 meter at the Big Ten outdoor Championships.

At the NCAA East Regional meet, Kuhn finished 29th, which ended his season.

After a strong freshman campaign, Kuhn zeroed in on his training in the summer.

“I really put a lot of trust in the coaches,” Kuhn said. “Last year was my first year running in a season.”

Kuhn said he credits his increased focus on the details within the races as a key factor for his continued improvement.

The success this season quickly followed and in January, the records started to fall and the accolades came in bunches.

At the Rod McCravy Invitational, Kuhn set a school record in the indoor 800 meter and a week later, set the school record in the 600 meter at the IU Relays.

“It’s always a really good feeling when you can break a record, especially one that’s been there for a while,” Kuhn said. “It makes you feel good about yourself. You can’t get too big headed about it and you have to stay on course.”

Kuhn won the 600 meter at the Big Ten Indoor Track and Field Championship and the 800 meter at the Pac-12 vs. Big Ten 
Invitational.

His time of 1:46.69 was his personal best and good for second fastest in school history

Kuhn said he’s motivated to get the outdoor 800-meter record and its something Kuhn really wants badly.

At the Big Ten Outdoor Championship, Kuhn finished second in the 800 meter.

“I’m pretty confident with myself, especially later on in the race,” Kuhn said. “If I’m in the mix, I feel really confident. I knew there was a really talented field and I just needed to be in the mix and the last 100 meters, see what happens.”

Prior to the NCAA East Regional meet, Kuhn said he just wanted to compete and see where the results put him.

“I sat down with coach, and he was like you’ve been at least in the top three in every race this year,” Kuhn said. “Coach said all you need to do is do that again and you can go to nationals.”

Kuhn earned a berth to the NCAA Championship meet in Eugene, Oregon, after he finished third in his 800 meter semi-final heat.

Getting to Oregon was something Kuhn said wouldn’t make or break his season, but just cement his level of success.

“It’s kind of like the Warriors if they don’t win in the playoffs this year, and the whole regular season didn’t mean anything,” Kuhn said prior to the NCAA regionals. “Going to the national meet would put a capstone on the fact that it was a really good season from the very beginning to the end.”