sports softball

IU softball loses two of three games at Michigan State

IU played three tight games but lost two of them to Michigan State this weekend in East Lansing, Michigan.

For the second weekend in a row, the Hoosiers (23-19, 6-8) held off a sweep with a win Sunday, this time in a 2-1 nail-biter against the Spartans (22-21, 4-9).

“It says a lot about where these kids are, that they don’t quit,” IU Coach Michelle Gardner said. “I’m very pleased that they came out and battled to get the win today.”

On Friday, the Spartans opened up an early lead and slowly added to it the rest of the way. Michigan State scored at least one run in each of the first five innings en route to a 6-2 win over IU.

Freshman pitcher Josie Wood started in the circle for the Hoosiers and made it through 3.1 innings before being replaced by sophomore pitcher Emily Kirk. Wood finished with eight hits and three earned runs allowed. Kirk tossed the final 2.2 innings and allowed an earned run on four hits.

The Hoosiers scored their runs in the fifth inning with the help of RBI base hits by junior second baseman Erin Lehman and senior first baseman Michelle Huber. IU had seven hits in the game, and Huber led the way with a 2-for-3 performance.

Saturday saw freshman pitcher Tara Trainer take the circle to start for IU, and Trainer pitched solidly for five innings despite being hurt by several IU defensive errors.

RBIs from freshman infielder Sarah Galovich got IU a run in the second and fourth innings, and the Hoosiers began the sixth inning trailing just 4-2.

The bottom half of the sixth began with an IU error, and two hits later Trainer was removed while trailing 6-2. Kirk came in to record the final three outs without allowing a run.

IU nearly mounted a comeback in the top of the seventh with three hits and a Spartan error. The Hoosiers scored three runs before striking out twice in a row with the tying run on second base. Michigan State pulled off the 6-5 win, and IU left eight runners on base in the game.

Kirk’s solid performances Friday and Saturday earned her a second consecutive Sunday start, which she turned in a second consecutive complete game win. Last weekend she earned her first career win in a six-inning 11-2 win against Penn State, but she went the full seven against Michigan State on Sunday.

IU fell behind 1-0 in the third inning on an infield error, but Kirk settled in the rest of the way and didn’t allow an earned run in the game.

In the top of the fifth, senior catcher Kelsey Dotson delivered a two-run double in her first series back from injury.

“It was good to be back with the team. We’re working toward playing together,” Dotson said. “I thought I was pressing a lot early on, so it was good to finally relax by the end of the weekend.”

The 2-1 score held, and Kirk finished the game with just one walk and seven hits allowed. Walks have been a major problem for IU’s staff in the last few weeks, but the Hoosiers walked just nine Spartans in the three games.

IU will play its final midweek game of the season this week when Ball State (18-26, 4-11) visits Bloomington on Wednesday. Gardner said Sunday wins are always helpful in carrying momentum into midweek games.

“We really put together a complete game all the way around to get the win,” Gardner said. “So I’m very happy. I liked the way they played today.”