GPSG passes two resolutions at final voting meeting

The Graduate and Professional Student Government passed two resolutions Friday regarding career services and mental health services.

The resolution regarding career services stated the timeline for appointing the director of graduate career services and the assistant vice provost for postdoctoral affairs be communicated with the GPSG. It also requested the role of graduate students and the GPSG in the search process be increased.

Career services is heavily focused on undergraduate students right now, Benefits Officer Ben Draper said.

However, the Office of the Provost has plans for creating a director of graduate career services and an assistant vice provost to set up an office for postdoctoral affairs.

Both of these positions will provide more career services to graduate students.

Although the GPSG supports the creation of these positions, Draper said it would like to be a part of the process because both positions directly affect graduate students.

The provost’s office did not communicate the plans to create the positions or any timeline to the GPSG.

“In the future, we’d like to be asked about these things,” Draper said.

Finally, the resolution said graduate students from across IU should have access to all events and services by the Graduate Career Services.

Many schools offer career fairs or other events that only those in a specific school can attend. However, students may be able to get jobs by attending events outside of their school.

“We would also like to advocate that graduate students from all schools be allowed to go to all graduate student events,” Draper said.

The GPSG also passed a resolution regarding mental health awareness. This bill said academic departments, the graduate school and GPSG should work to promote mental health services on campus.

Such services include Counseling and Psychological Services, Indiana Memorial Union stress management programs and Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Student Support Services.

The resolution also stated CAPS should continue its efforts to expand services into academic departments and cultural centers.

This resolution was something the health and wellness committee had talked about doing all year. Mental health was a main priority for the committee.

“As important as I think this resolution is, it kind of scratches the surface of what can be done,” said Skyler Hutto, vice president and health and wellness committee chairman.

The first part of the resolution focuses on making students more aware of the services IU has to offer, especially for those suffering from mental health issues.

“If people don’t know about them, they can’t take advantage of them,” 
Hutto said.

As part of this bill, the GPSG also plans to create a faculty-student mentoring program, which would aim to foster relationships between students and faculty.

Although there is no set plan for how to carry this out, most of the assembly agreed some plan like this should be put in place. The health and wellness committee plans to continue its work on this resolution next year.

In other business, the GPSG appointed officers for positions dealing with awards, sustainability, diversity and benefits. They also did their annual assembly audit to decide who will fill seats in next year’s assembly.

The assembly also discussed events happening for Graduate Appreciation Week. The events start Monday evening and include karaoke, glow golf and an international food night.