opinion oped editorial

EDITORIAL: Google takes over the world

There is an ongoing antitrust lawsuit against Google and its hold over the smart phone marketplace, according to the New York Times.

Currently, when people purchase an Android phone, a number of Google apps are already installed.

European app makers are pleading with the EU to bar the search giant from pre-installing their apps.

The manufacturers argue Google has an unfair advantage because pre-installed apps deter competition.

We think Google has a right to download its own apps on its phones.

Because Google owns Android phones, they have a right to control and set up their product any way they please.

This is a manufacturer’s battle the consumer has the ability to sway.

If people are truly upset about the Google apps, they should stop buying Android phones and let their money speak for them.

However, if they don’t believe the apps are a problem, they should continue purchasing the phones to prove this is just a part of a capitalistic market.

Despite pre-downloading a number of apps, Android hasn’t had a U2 
disaster.

Apple pre-downloaded U2’s album to a number of iPhones purchased in 2014 but initially made it impossible to delete.

After the initial backlash, the company apologized and created a link to delete the 
album.

The European Union has had success in the past fighting against American 
tech firms.

In 2001, they started a legal battle with Microsoft, demanding they unbundle their Web browser services from being able to watch videos and listen to music, according to the Economist.

This battle allowed for the development and increased popularity of web browsers such as Safari, Firefox and Chrome.

By allowing consumers to work beyond Internet Explorer, the Web browsing game was able to change.

The difference between the Android and Internet Explorer cases comes down to one word — choice.

When an Android phone is first turned on, it’s filled with an arsenal of 
Google apps.

When a Microsoft PC was first turned on, at the time, Internet Explorer was close to the only option.

But Android allows users to keep or delete any app of their choice.

Weaving through the setting section on a Samsung Galaxy or a HTC phone, a user could shut off Google Maps, Gmail, Google Docs and any other pre-installed application.

But chances are, 
they won’t.

Because those apps, in a PC or mobile platform, are necessary for communicating and working online.

Until other developers create a better platform, there will be no consumer-led 
outcry.