Culture Shock relocation slows business for vendors

Tasha Parson, left, and Mary Grace Jackson from Plato’s Closet a a vendor booth Saturday at Culture Shock.

With his thick dreadlocks hanging over his head, Luri Santos sat behind his stall containing Brazilian ice pops in the parking lot of Rhino’s All Ages Club. Despite completely selling out last year, there was no one in line for Rasta Pops at this year’s Culture Shock.

Culture Shock took place at Rhino’s instead of the typical Dunn Meadow location because of the cold weather.

A decrease in attendance of the annual free concert put on by WIUX resulted from the move to Rhino’s, which is far from IU’s campus, along with the cold weather.

Last summer Santos started his business, Rasta Pops, which sells ice pops like the ones he remembers from his home town in Salvador, Brazil.

“We were hoping for good weather, but, unfortunately, this weather is not so great for popsicles,” Santos said.

Jodie Lawrence, WIUX committee member, said the radio station has this event because it brings together many people from town and campus and a lot of local music. She said she was expecting more vendors to be present at the event, specifically King Dough and Rainbow Bakery.

“It’s less accessible to students because it’s here,” Lawrence said.

However, many vendors were still present on the chilly April afternoon. These vendors included Plato’s Closet, Inali Henna and the American Sign Language Club at IU.

“I love the event,” said Halli Baumann, owner of Inali Henna. “It’s a great combination of the local and student population coming together with music. The vendors are always having fun. It’s a great event overall for Bloomington.”

Inali Henna has been a vendor at the event for multiple years.

“It’s a little sparse because of the relocation, so I am working on that,” Baumann said.

Brazillian ice pops and henna tattoos were not the only products being sold by vendors in the parking lot outside of Rhino’s. Plato’s Closet was another business seeking to advertise to the attendees at Culture Shock.

Fewer people showed up to Culture Shock in general, said Mary Jackson, IU junior and Plato’s Closet employee. But many people still stopped by the Plato’s Closet booth, she said. She said this event is one that draws in the company’s target buyers.

“It’s our demographic,” Jackson said. “It’s just that a lot of college students are coming here and a lot of people that would be interested in unique styles and looking different.”

Directly across from Plato’s Closet was the American Sign Language Club at IU, where many attendees were gathered watching members of the organization use sign language.

The organization sold cookies, cupcakes, pastries and hot chocolate donated from Kroger. The funds went toward sponsoring a child to attend the Indiana Deaf Camp this summer.

Taylor Mccart, an IU senior and president of the club, said the club’s goals are to provide students with additional ASL practice and to raise awareness of deaf culture in the community.

“I’ve been to the event before, and it has just been fun every time we’ve gone,” Mccart said. “It’s a great way to spread the word about this new club we have going on. Today, we’ve done well. It’s a bit chilly, but it’s been interesting having the music inside and the vendors outside.”

The student organization provided kits of ear plugs and balloons so people could experience the concert like a deaf person might by inserting the ear plugs and holding the balloon up to one’s chest. The balloon amplifies the vibrations, adding to the simulation.

Brian Berger, WIUX chief engineer, said a few vendors dropped last minute because of the change from Dunn Meadow to Rhino’s. It was going to get cold at night, and the radio station didn’t want to make the bands play in 30-degree weather, he said.

“It’s not as central to campus, so it is a little more difficult, and a little more difficult for some of the vendors to maneuver, but most are pretty cool with the change and stuck with it, which is awesome,” Berger said.

Culture Shock is advertised as a free concert, but the vendors are an equally important part of the event, Berger said.

“Culture Shock is a lot more than just music,” Berger said. “It’s promoting a lot of local Bloomington things. You see vendors of interesting Bloomington things around here. People who come get to experience the culture of Bloomington, not just through the music, but through the food and other things the booths offer.”