opinion letters

LETTER: In defense of student government

Today, the IU Resident Hall Association will vote on multiple bills that will limit student input to RHA as well as further neuter the organization’s campus influence.

Due to the inaction of a few individuals, the RHA election process is behind schedule this year. Under RHA bylaws, student election commissioners need to be in place to oversee campaigning practices campus-wide.

However, there has been little attempt to fill these roles for the upcoming election. To remedy this easily fixable issue, one proposed bill will eliminate the popular election process altogether for RHA executive officers. Instead of basing the legitimacy of these positions on the will of the students in the resident halls, the bill would rather have them selected and appointed entirely by a selection committee.

No longer would there be the popularity contest of elections that require candidates to meet with constituents and earn their votes.

Granted, this bill would only be in effect for this voting cycle, but nevertheless, it sets a dangerous precedent for RHA and student organizations as a whole.

This bill says it is ok to allow a few individuals to disregard their responsibilities to the detriment of the organization, in this case the student government of RHA.

Another proposed bill would have RHA forego its role as a student government and assume the meek identity of “advisory council.” RHA should not be in a debate about the semantics of what student government is.

However, I am a strong believer we should present ourselves like how we want to be treated.

Somewhere along the line this year, RHA went from being determined to make change happen to adopting a defeatist sentiment. As a member of RHA, this is insulting to me and others who have spent long hours serving and advocating for our residents. RHA is a government by the students, for the students.

No, RHA does not have the final say in what happens on campus, but we are only part of the large quilt of organizations that makes up IU’s government.

We make and enforce policies that affect students in any range of issues. Yet, if students want to have stronger influence on campus, they must proclaim it in a firm, united voice.

Nearly every IU undergraduate student is a constituent of RHA at some point in their career, giving us the potential to be one of the more influential student governments. Forsaking this opportunity will send a clear message to fellow students and the IU administration that student organizations will be content to suggest change as opposed to command change.

General assemblies are open to the students, and we encourage them to come to voice their opinions. Tonight’s meeting location has yet to be confirmed at the time of this writing, but will occur at 7pm.

Please email me at aroquena@umail.iu.edu for the confirmed location. For those who cannot come, send us emails at iurhasg@gmail.com