IU women's basketball has historic turnaround in Teri Moren's second season

Head coach Teri Moren takes a knee at the edge of the court during the fourth quarter of play on Feb. 4, at Assembly Hall. The Hoosiers held on late to beat the Iowa Hawkeyes 79-74.

A year ago today, IU Coach Teri Moren was trying to establish the identity of her new program. Despite a 10-1 nonconference record, the Hoosiers finished as the 12-seed in the Big Ten with a 5-15 record in conference play.

Now, Moren is the consensus Big Ten Coach of the Year following a turnaround that gave IU a double-bye into the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament.

The Hoosiers (20-10, 12-6) finished fourth in the conference.

Moren becomes the second coach in IU history to receive the conference’s highest coaching honor. Maryalyce Jeremiah won the award in 1983.

“This is way bigger than me,” Moren told Big Ten Network after receiving the news. “It’s a team award, it’s a staff award. The thing I’ve managed to do is surround myself with terrific people. We’re going to accept this on behalf of our team and the incredible amount of work we’ve done thus far.”

This season has presented Moren with differences from her first year in Bloomington.

Specifically, IU will not have to play in the Big Ten Tournament until Friday, giving the Hoosiers their longest break without a game since the winter holidays.

Last season, IU was forced to play its first-round game a mere three days after its regular season finale.

“A year ago, at this point, I couldn’t practice enough,” Moren said last week. “I wanted our kids to understand what we were going to be about. It’s changed in the fact that I trust this group.”

In her second year, Moren’s Hoosiers were not expected to go undefeated at home.

They also weren’t expected to upset multiple ranked opponents and win numerous games on the road in Big Ten play.

Those expectations were set after IU lost three players to transfer and lost seven of its last eight games last season.

Regardless, Moren said she is not shocked with what the Hoosiers have done in her second year.

“This is honest-to-goodness truth, I don’t think we ever put a number on what we could do with this group,” Moren said. “We had no idea. I don’t want to say that I’m shocked because I think that takes away from our kids. I’m not surprised by it. They’ve believed it from the beginning.”

Part of Moren’s lack of surprise is due to the sophomore combination of point guard Tyra Buss and forward Amanda Cahill.

Buss, who was named a first team All-Big Ten selection Monday, slid into the point guard spot after the 
departure of point guard Larryn Brooks.

This season, Buss averages 19 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game.

The duo of Buss and Cahill has carried the Hoosiers through almost every game this season.

Cahill, a second team All-Big Ten selection, nearly averages a double-double with 14.6 points and 8.5 rebounds per game.

“I think we know what it’s like to play in the Big Ten,” Buss said. “Whenever we need to make plays, I think Coach relies on me and Amanda to make the smarter play and take over.”

The two not only work well off the court, but away from Assembly Hall as well. As roommates, Buss said she and Cahill talk basketball constantly.

“Even when we’re at home sitting around the apartment, we’re always talking about basketball,” Buss said. “I think it helps that we’re really good friends and I feel like I’ve been playing with Amanda for so long. Our chemistry is just really good.”

IU’s unprecedented success this season will take them into uncharted territory this weekend.

The No. 4 seed is IU’s highest since matching that in 1998.

“We’ve never been there,” Moren said. “So I wouldn’t know what it’s like. Last year we had to play on the first day, so it would be new for all of us. I would suspect that you get some extra time, and right now that’s what we need. We’re really trying to 
manage that.”

After a rocky first year for Moren, Buss and Cahill, the trio has bounced back in a way that can place the program into the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2002.

“That’s something that obviously has been a goal of ours,” Cahill said of the double-bye. “To be a team in this league that’s actually making a difference. It’s a cool experience, I’m really looking forward to it.”