weekend

"Walking Dead" returns with guts and gore

You know it’s going to be a good episode of “The Walking Dead” when Darryl Dixon blows up an enemy group with a grenade launcher in the first five minutes.

Everyone’s favorite post-apocalyptic zombie show is back for the second half of its sixth season, and based on the content of Sunday night’s episode, the show is not slowing down 
with time.

All the best elements of “The Walking Dead” were present in the premiere. We saw plenty of gory shots of zombie guts and several tense moments of decision-making between characters amid the chaos of walker versus man battle.

And, most importantly, we saw a lot of slow motion death scenes.

Fans of the series are well aware of the fact we shouldn’t get attached to any character. But it’s impossible not to, which makes it that much more heart-wrenching when one gets eaten alive by walkers or killed by another character.

In “No Way Out,” we saw fate catch up with several people. Most were minor characters who have only been on the show since the original gang arrived in Alexandria, but it was still difficult to lose Jessie, Rick’s recent love interest, and her young son Sam.

The death of Jessie’s oldest son Austin was contrarily pretty easy to watch, considering he shot Carl in the eye. Don’t worry, the young Grimes survived, and we will get to listen to Rick butcher his name another day.

If you don’t have time to watch the entire episode, just fast forward to the last five minutes to see Darryl once again save the day with a grenade launcher and every cast member finally step up to slaughter some zombies. We needed a gutsier crew.

It appears the gang is not leaving Alexandria any time soon, as Rick ended the episode with a monologue about how he finally understood the original vision of the town and wants to show his son this newfound hope — something that will be harder for Carl to do with just one eye.

Looking forward, I hope the rest of season six brings even more excitement and anxiety-inducing moments than “No Way Out” did.

And, of course, more guts.

@NicoleKrasean